• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how much can a mag 3 handle?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mR|bUNgLe

currious I got a danger den TDX and chipset cooler
but I want to get one of those dd 6800 blocks for my GT
but Im not shure if a single pump will do
@9 feet of head and 350gph seems ok to me but I have no idea of how much more restriction the 6800 block will put on my flow?

oh yea 1/2 in tubes

That is a very powerful pump indeed, with a lot of head 350gph, it should be able to handle your job with much easy on 1/2 inch tubing, assuming you gonna have a regular heatercore and not the "Biggy" Bonniville type.

I'm running a Mag 3 with 2 Bonneville HCs and a RBX block. The setup is in a remote box with longer tubing length. The temps peak at 40C under load with MBM after the AS5 setup. This is with a 2.8G P4 running at 3.4G at 1.65V. I'm using an abit IS7 motherboard which is notorious for reporting the temps 6-10C to high. I'm estimating that the load temps are actually in the low 30s. I don't know if the second HC is as restrictive as the additional blocks but it should be close.

Oh ya Ive read that link before I even got it
still best pump for the money IMO
I was just worried about pushing it through my BIX2 and 3 blocks

:Edit: nevermind after looking at a few reviews and instalation pic I relized there wont be room for bouth the NV6800 block and my 875 intel block due to the layout of my P4C800E deluxe mobo

Oh well north bridge blocks arent nessasery anyways right?
besides Ive had all kinds of problems with Danger dens intel chipset block anyways. broke 3 corners off, pulled out a retention clip
even had to RMA my last board cause the clip landed on my card shorting everything to hell.

on a side note after complaining bout the design of the block all danger den offered me was a 25 dollar disscount on a 125$ block (not shure how much that is CDN)

Last edited:
I'm not knocking the pump at all. I'm a big advocate of the Mag 3. In fact, I ordered one a couple hours ago. I'm not sure if I'll use the RVT sealant or just JB Weld the ******* shut.

mR|bUNgLe said:
Oh well north bridge blocks arent nessasery anyways right?
besides Ive had all kinds of problems with Danger dens intel chipset block anyways. broke 3 corners off, pulled out a retention clip
even had to RMA my last board cause the clip landed on my card shorting everything to hell.

Generally NB blocks aren't necessary if you get a good Zalman NB heatsink, and if you're really overclocking, something like the Thermalright NB-1 or the new all copper one would be plenty with a relatively quiet 40mm fan on it. Watercooling it really isn't necessary.

Giblet Plus! said:
Mag 3 and Mag 5 have the same max head height and perform practically identically in restrictive setups
And the Mag5 uses more power than the mag3 which is more heat for the water.

A mag5 is only better than the mag3 on extremely low resistance aquarium type setups (almost anything PC watercooling related is relatively restrictive compared to aquarium setups).

the Mag 3 for me has always done best . I tried this Mcp600 and will be switching back to the Mag 3. as far as the leak problem that was fixed long time ago with weather adhesive glue , makes for a permanent seal.

Jen

I believe the Mag 3 is the best pump you can get for a WC setup. I have had my system running for 5 months now w/o any problems and I didn't even make any modifications to the pump. Reviews of the Danner Mag pumps have shown that the Mag 5 gives off too much heat compared to the benifit you would receive. The Mag 3 and 5 are both submersable but I wouldnt recommend it because that just adds heat the the loop. I bought mine at www.petsmart.com , I just looked and they are currently going for $45 for the Mag 3. When I tried to get one localy at the pet stores around my area..they wanted $80-$100 for the Mag 3, brick and mortar stores suck.

Reviews of the Danner Mag pumps have shown that the Mag 5 gives off too much heat compared to the benifit you would receive.
Yes you are right, but how much heat is that, 35W versus 45W on an efficiently constructed loop with good parts amounts to nothing, try to tell me that with my current overclock and setup ...LOL

Hey dude you need a Mag 5 for that heavy duty job.....

I was concerned about the mag 3 with the extra core and tubing length but the mag 3 is doing a good job so far. I built this setup to cool a prescott, if I run into high temps, I will upgrade to a mag 7 or maybe another mag 3 in a series.
Also to the original post, the mag 3 has some vibration which can cause some noise, I mounted mine on some rubber feet and put a 2 big rubberbands around the pump and mounting plate to control the vibration. The fans are louder than the pump now.

mata2974 said:
Yes you are right, but how much heat is that, 35W versus 45W on an efficiently constructed loop with good parts amounts to nothing, try to tell me that with my current overclock and setup ...LOL

Actually your Overclocked Wattage for your current specs is about 145W.
The pump 35W to 45W is actually a 28.5% increase in heat for the pump.
Lets say all the heat is going into the loop. (This is actually in your favor )
You are going from a Mag 3 at 180W to Mag 5 at 190W.
This is a difference of 5.55% in heat increase to your loop with the Mag 5.

I would not call 5.55% heat increase nothing.

Head Feet 0 2 4 6 8 10 Watts

Mag Drive #3 Flow (gph) 350 325 270 177 77 20 35
Mag Drive #5 Flow (gph) 500 410 310 180 75 10 45

Compareing the heat increase to the Head pressure, It is my conclusion that the Mag 5 will only be the better pump if you can keep your loss of head pressure under 6 Feet Loss, when you hit 6 Feet loss or more the Mag 5 is generating more heat then the flow rate increst 177 vs. 180 is 1.7% increase in Flow Rate vs 5.5% extra heat production.

It peaks at 45W, the majority of which is used by the motor and not wasted as heat. The heat isn't really your concern, it's spending more on a pump with no gain to performance. Same head, more flow in extremely unrestrictive setups, which is certainly not watercooling.

Back