• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Removing rivets?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jbroad572

In my Thermal take Tsunami, after I remove the hdd cages, there is still a little platform on the very bottom of the case. Not sure if this is an extra hdd holder or what, but I cannot put in my heater core if it won't come out. That means I just might have to buy a Lian Li v1200 or v2000 :p. I am guessing they are held in place by rivets, how would I remove those?

Guess I really need to decide if I'm going to keep this case before drilling anything. Might be a good idea, huh? That Lian Li sure is nice and would be better to WC and upgrade later, but it's alot more $$$. Hmmm....

Carefully drilling them out is the cleanest way to remove rivits and not damage the drive cage holder (for later reinstall).

To rivit something, a pop-rivit gun and a few dozen pop-rivits are less than $15 at places that sell hardware. The rivits come in different sizes and depths; make sure to get the right size.

I just drilled out the rivets on my new case. Worked like a charm.

Put masking tape over the rivet on the bottom of the case, then find a drillbit that fits "in" the small depression of the rivet, and drill away slowly.

If it's your first time drilling out rivets don't worry, it's easy. Just start with a really small drill bit if you're worried, and drill through the center. If it doesn't pop out (which it shouldn't the first time) go to a little bigger drill bit and try it. Just keep increasing sizes till they pop out. This will make you less paranoid about it if you haven't done it before.

If you can use a stapler you can use a pop rivet gun. Gun and rivets for under $20 at any hardware store.

I use to work steel and these guys are right drilling is the easiest way but if you don't have a drill a hammer and punch will work too. Just make sure to use a 2 x 4 to brace the metal the rivet is set in or it will bend all to hell when you try to punch out the rivet.

if there is a rivet in there, they put it in somehow... so chances are the area is more open after you take something out cause the case manufacturer didnt just wish the rivets into the case

I always use a flat balde screw driver and a hammer to remove rivits. Works like a charm, all you do it put the head of the screw driver right beside the flat head of the rivit and hit it.

WejRepus said:
the case manufacturer didnt just wish the rivets into the case

too funny...

If you have a rivet thats barried like that try flipping the piece over and drill it from the other side. They had to use a gun to get it in there... if they got it in, you can get it out! You could also try using one of the smaller grinding wheels on a dremel just stick that sucker in there sideways and grind the head down.

:sn:

Back