• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling a Pump

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Attak82

Its odvious to me that my 450gph hydor pump is a huge heatsource. I figure making a closed aluminum "case" for the pump, filling it with water, and mounting it in the hard drive cage will reduce temps. And dont mistake me, the water in this "pump case" would not be used in the loop. The intake fans would assist in cooling the "pump case". I also could use my old cpu heatsink to attach to the "pump case". This would also help make the pump incredibly silent I assume, provided you use rubber washers to mount it.

Eventually, the water in your pump case would reach equilibrium, and you would be putting just as much(if not more, now that its enclosed) heat in your loop.

The way I figured this would work is by using the water to capture nearly all of the heat from the pump. If this water could be cooled, it would be taking away heat energy from the pump, which even by natural air convection would be taking away more heat then without the pump case becuase more surface area is covered than just the pump housing. The idea is to do all this seperately from the loop and isolate the heat coming from the pump so it would not be added into the loop. Could you please elaborate on why you believe this equilibrium point would be reached or what specifically would cause the water in the loop to be heated up?

Last edited:
If you don't remove the heat you put in the pump box, then eventually you will reach a point where the pump box contraption is acting as an insulator, and forcing the heat into the one thing that is cooler: the loop.

After the pump box sucks up enough heat energy to make the temp difference between the pump and the water equal, you won't have any heat transfer except into the loop.

This is assuming the pump box is sealed, and doesn't have its own cooling system.

In the real world the casing itself would dissipate some of the heat, but the question would be, can it remove enough to keep the whole thing from heating up to the point where you actually get more heat in your loop than without the box.

You won't get to the point where no heat is added to the loop unless the pump enclosure/waterbox is actually colder than your loop, and even then, it wouldn't be a complete elimination of heat added to the loop.

I hope my ramblings are inteligible.

Back