• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WB won blockt stop leaking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DipStickTony

CPU block wont stop leaking

I did the annual clean out my tubes and waterblocks and found out a few things.

1. My video card block is corroding like a mofo. I toothbrushed it with clr and t hat removed most of the guk but some is still present. Not to big of a deal.

2. My CPU block leaks horribly now. The sides are soldered together but it also has screws to help hold it togeather. Ive tried tightening and untightening the screws but it still leaks where the base and the top meet. Ive placed the block under water and blew into it and saw no air bubbles so im thinking maybe its a pressure issue.

mag5 >> Evo block >> GPU Radiator >> pump (Tline no rez)

Anyways how would i go about resoldering the top and bottom back together. Or would it just be easier to buy a new CPU block. I saw a soldering torch for 20$ at home depot since i know my 15 watt iron will never do the job.

Last edited:
I don't know what exactly an EVO block looks like, but I'm guessing you have some aluminum parts in there.
Once the corrosion has started, there's no barrier to keep it from happening again (like silly annodizing), you'd have to run a rich mixture of antifreeze that may also kill your temps, so I'd go shopping for something that's all copper like the new swifty blocks. Reasonable price on 'em too, just too bad they don't have matching NB and GPU blocks....hunt another source for them.
Do Not mix metals, bud.

Oh and one tip, it's better to have a good, butt ugly block, than it is to go through a few hot looking ones that self destruct. It costs less too ;]

Back