• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Preventing leaks.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whoever

Well I have leaks, a couple of them. The first one was one the dd maze 4 GPU, the second one was on the rad, and the third one was on the pump. I have been able to rid my self of all the leaks except the pump leak.

I have a via aqua with brass barbs threaded into the, threads. Anyway I am about 65% sure that the leak is coming from the tube, as in its not making a good fit on the barb. It is possible that it is leaking though the threads; but I did use Teflon tape. Any suggestions?

I will try switching out the barb but I don't think it will do anything.

You should have teflon tape on the barbs threads and i forget if its female or male but the barb we threads on the outside should be plastic not brass or it will crack it and can u easly take off the rube from the barbs?

1) Replace the brass barbs with plastic ones and them pvc glue them into the pump. Do that and you won't ever have to worry about them leaking
2) Check the tube/barb fitting an use a worm gear clamp. Really grind down on it.
3) Make sure the impeller housing isn't leaking. My via, the first time I used it, spilled water EVERYWHERE 'cause the impeller housing leaked. If you use epoxy, it's not too difficult fix.

That's everything you can do to a pump short of submerse it.

First try is, you might laugh at this but it might work for you. On your pump, first. Apply rubber tape, electrical tape around the barb, one or two revolutions, and then tight fit your tubing over it. I suggest you use the regular hose fasteners from HomeDepo and screw it to a tight fit.....It works for me, but the I have a Mag 5, so I dont know how your barbs look like. As for the other leaks, use the Homedepo staff or the other solution is to use a very tight hose, which will not fit on the barbs with easy, dip the other end in acetone and then force it in , if not heat the other end until soft, force it in and as it cools it will be tight. Then of course finish it off with a those fasteners.....dont know the correct word. But they work.....

thanks for the tips guys, it looks like you all are bliming it on the fact that I have metal threaded with plastic. I will go get soem plasti barbs, however, what obut the tube leaking? it sounds like you guys rulled that out.

as in the hole in the tubing?Cause how would that of happened.But not ruling out a bad fit witht he barb and tube

Are you using hose clamps?

Some don't but I think a majority of water coolers use SOME type of clamp.

Personally, I prefer the metal worm-drive hose clamps.
They cost a bit more, but they can be tightened as much as you need and they will NOT come off. :)
A few have had issues with worm-drive clamps on tube/barb connections that are a bit loose: tightening TOO much may make these joints leak, but I have found that even in these case, messing around a bit with just how tight you clamp the tube WILL get a good seal.

Metal worm-drive clamps are a cheap insurance policy for electronics as far as I am concerned.

Back