• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

computer not posting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pwnt by pat

My computer was running fine. Then I switch it over from air on my desk to water in my case. I'm all hooked up and it refuses to post. Fans spin and everything.

Steps taken:
Disconnect everything but psu and video card
I did the magical rain dance to reset the DFI bios
swapped ram
swapped video card
checked cpu for cracked core
check gpu for cracked core

sugesstions?

Last edited:
So you already remounted cooling blocks?

Leave these things connected to power - HDD, video. Disconnect anything not listed.

Try to boot again.

nice idea Whoever
those displays are VERY handy to have
it is for that reason only that ive been almost an exclusive Epox owner for white a while now
they generally all come with the display in the PCB

You also didn't mention if you are receiving any beep codes... Make sure you have a fan connected to the CPU header.

Simply a hard drive and Vid card won't keep him from posting though, and he might actually get a boot with it... If he has multiple disc drive spinning up and a lot of fans on boot, that could keep him from posting - other than power requirements there is not much reason to detach components. I also didn't see that he had already disconnected everything, or I woudln't have mentioned it. I've never seen a bad HDD cause a no-POST though.

Good call though jack.... Might have been confusing if you didn't say anything.

I had the same problem last week with my Nf7-s. I believe it has to do with the evil nforce2 bios that are known to break. It also happened to me a year ago with an nf7, so i have an nf7-s rmaing and a dead NF7 in my drawer. I think its bios but dont quote me. Ok im done ranting

no beep codes
remounted blocks - no avail
last thing to test is a new cpu tommorrow

All that's hooked up is video card, psu, and ram.

Removing componnants makes troubleshooting easier.

Anyone, please rename the thread. I didn't realize at the time that I spelled 'posting' wrong. I'm currently using a laptop with a z board and it screws up characters like a mofo.

Edit: tomorrow I find a ddm and see if everything is putting out the proper voltages. Where is vcore read at on the infinity/lpb? Oh, my xpu imprints on the bocks are perfect - like amazingly perfect. Is it possiible to crush a nb core 'cause I really cranked down on my z-chip block 'cause it slides all over the place.

Last edited:
my nephew had the same problem. He had an Abit IC7-Max3 and was running fine on sp-94. After installing the swiftech block, it won't post at all (has power to mb but nothing gets turned on). We thought it was the motherboard and we switch out same motherboard with same result. Switched out cpu and still nothing. Finally I gave him money to buy an Asus P4C800-E dlx motherboard and it works perfectly with same wb and same cpu. Weird. Can't really explain the problem.

Its weird its all got to do with watercooling. Whats funny is mine had been leak tested for a week and then bam dead mobo. I got tired of replacing them so until someone figures out whats wrong with these im going to stick with my ALX-800, such a unimprovement :(

Yes, I use through the board screws. I have never had any problems like this and I have used/modified my setup at least 10 times. All of my rods have washers under the bolts. All of them have proper tension on the springs. I have yet to try my cpu/ram/video card in another computer. I will likely do this tonight or tomorrow. A of now I have just been swaping them with unknown parts I have around my house.

Oh and it's defiately not the bios. There's no possible way for the bios to have become corrupt. It's not like a bad hair day - you wake up and your bios don't work. No.

Just two cents, I have a very similar problem with a GA7n400 Pro 2. I took off a Volcano and put on the Vantec Aero. Would not post. I messed with it and messed with it. I sat the Aero down on the cpu and held it snug by hand and it would post. The second I secured the clips, no post, just fan spin, siren for about 3 seconds, and thats it. This cooler worked fine on other system, and put the Volcano back on it and it worked fine. Never did figure it out. I looked with a mangifying glass to see if the clip of the aero was touching something and it was not. Same way with the heatsink, it was not touching anything but the cpu, and it was mounted properly with AS5. I would suggest looking very closely and see if you have mounted something that could be grounding out somewhere. This sounds like another one of those Omens from the Bit Gods.

Back