• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ran out of Molex connectors, will this work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Furd_Terguson

After adding additional hard drives to my system, I seem to be short one molex connector. I need one to connect my D4 Pump to the PSU. I attached a diagram of what I was thinking. Basically, they both only use 2 connections of four, would this work? Otherwise, what can I do really? I figured I could use a splitter, but running multiple things per lead especially hard drives seems to be a bad idea. Thanks

Attachments

• diagram.JPG
    diagram.JPG
    6.4 KB · Views: 175
NO DO NOT DO THIS, YOU WILL BLOW OUT A THAT CIRCUIT CASUE YOU ARE TRYING TO TAKE TO MANY AMPS.... THIS WILL IN TURN STOP ALL THE FANS IN YOUR PSU (i assume ur using an antec)

go down to the local radio shack and pick of a couple of Y connectors, use the Y connectors for the fans, or for the CD Rom drive, i usually have the CD and the graphics and the floppy on one string from the PSU another for the HD, and 1 for fans and pumps

NO DO NOT DO THIS, YOU WILL BLOW OUT A THAT CIRCUIT CASUE YOU ARE TRYING TO TAKE TO MANY AMPS.... THIS WILL IN TURN STOP ALL THE FANS IN YOUR PSU (i assume ur using an antec)

Perhaps the colors have clouded your judgement.

His 'fan only' connect is just a 12v line with its negative from the PSU. his 'pump' connector is the same, just colored differently. There are no fans involved.

Furd: as long as you insulate the + from the - that kind of self made molex will work
fine.

IF you are using an Antec powersupply and you are referring to the fan only connector, it doesn't supply a constant 12V. My fans always run slower on this connection than a standard molex. I would assume the pump would also run slower. I would use a Y off one of my least used devices.

Back