• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can this heater core survive ?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HeLLz aNgeL

Registered
heyy guys, i got a Fedco 2-342 heater core in the mail today ... sadly it was not insured and the stupid postal service did a ******* job ...

there are a million dents in the baby now, and i cant figure out what to do .... i checked for leaks, and there were none ... the water seems flowing through very easily ...

please take a loot at the attached pix, and let me know if this HC will be able to do work ?

P9111145.jpg

P9111143.jpg

P9111139.jpg

P9111138.jpg

Are they restricting water flow at all? If they are not, I doubt it will make a massive difference.

Bensa said:
Are they restricting water flow at all? If they are not, I doubt it will make a massive difference.

is there any way i can check that there is absolutely zero percent hinderence in the flow ?!

Giblet Plus! said:
it will work fine, the outer channels do not have water going through them

that said, it looks very beat up

would the dents on the outer channels affect anything else ??

cooling, etc ?!

as far as flow and possible leaks appearing are concerned, the damage shown in the second pic is enough to cause some worrying. The outer edge is mashed in passed the level of one of the flow channels that would carry water. Solder doesn't flex that well and that bend likely weakened it or cracked the solder seam. If it is a hairline crack, it might take some time to start leaking but sooner or later, it will leak.

other than that, a good deal of surface area for metal to air contact has been smashed flat. if you can possibly take a thin panel nail or something of similar size and carefully bend a lot of that out to its original position. Still, I think I'd ditch that core and try for another one - there is no point in risking a leak when it would cost you $20 to prevent hundreds of $ possibly going down the tubes if it leaks and hoses down any of your components.

if you can straighten it out and you decide to use it, test it at least 48hrs before dropping it into your computer.

I would call the place you got it from and complain. Perhaps they will replace it for free if they have great customer service.

Back