• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does Reservior Size make any Difference?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JPetrillo

I was about to get a 5.25" Bay res, but now I just saw a 3.5" Bay res. I looks a lot smaller, but will there be any advantage/disadvantage of having just a tiny reservoir?

ex-res-39.jpg

5.25" Bay reservior

ex-res-38.jpg

3.5" Bay reservior

As long as that 3.5" bay res only takes up one 3.5" bay and not two I would really like to get that one, unless it wouldnt be as good as the 5.25" bay res.

Edit: Oh... it does take up two 3.5" bays... that would be too much for me, I guess I'll just get the 5.25" bay res. So much for this thread huh? lol.

To be honest, those reservoirs scare me, not those in particular but ALL clear ones that use epoxy to hold it together. Anyway, no, size makes no difference, one will not make the water cooler because of size, unless you had a very large res, say 10+ gallons.

The bigger the res, the longer it will take for the water to heat up when the computer is turned on or load increases.

However, the difference will be negligable between the two reses, and final temps will be the same.

I use a 3.5in bay res, I like it :)

problem with bay res is potential leak problem. You don't really need a res really. T line would be adequate. In regards to your ?, size of res doesn't matter in term of performance unless you have huge res (several gallon tank) then it may matter.

Alright nikhsub1, now I'll know for next time... I would like it better in a 3.5" bay than a 5.25" bay, but anways, like I said in my Edit, I'm stuck with the 5.25"

Edit: Haha everyone just posted at the same time :p

nealric, your 3.5" res is a dual or single?

Not many people use reseviors here but T-lines instead, $1. Only reason I can think to use one is tubing geography dictates it. Leaks, cost, space are just some of the reasons res suck.

I think a res would work better in my setup. NTM its also a "show off" rig, and I think it would look much more "cooler" :p

My computer already makes all the relatives say "WOW what the heck is that thing?!" lol...

hehe :)

I'm about to get the tubing as well. I'm going to get that Tygon tubing.

1. Will 5 ft. be enough? Its only a mid-tower with one block.
2. If my res/rad/block are all 1/2" barbs then I need 1/2" ID 5/8" OD tube, right?
3. You dont need that "special tube cutter" do you? Scissors are good enough to cut with??

Thanks again guys :D

Alright cool. I'll take your advice and add an extra 2 feet.

Now I just need to make sure that my pump is okay and I'll place this order so they can get that shipped out this monday! :D

I use dual floppy. I just believe that it will act as a heat sink as well as provide constant free flow to the pump. not to mention that yeah, geograghy dictates. a t line would show up right in the middle of my window :(

Yeah so would mine I think.

If I want anything (other than the tubes) to show I want one of them PSI gauges!

Yeah, that would be pretty small I guess!

DarkDraco, our systems are somewhat similar... if I get a load temp in the low 40's thats going to be so sweet!

Back