• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what block and pump

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gongo56

would you reccomend for an AMD athlon 64? I'm looking for something that looks good with quality. I was leaning towards the dangerden tdx or rbx.. is there really that much more benefit from a 3 barb CPU block over a 2 barb block? If not id rather stick to the 2 barb since it makes the tubing path easier.

what about a good pump? I'm looking to cool a cpu and a gpu so i'll need something pretty good. any suggestions?

The 6002 for the 64 is on backorder, even if you go to the Swiftech store itself, it's on backorder. I'm no fan of Dangerden blocks. They have poly tops which will crack over time (unless you let your system run 24/7 so there's no thermal cycling), they don't perform as well as the Swiftech MCW6002, and they cost $11 more than the Swiftech. But if you can't wait, the TDX is the way to go. You won't see a degree of difference between the RBX and TDX and the TDX will mount much more easily.

So then you're looking at roughly $60 for a block. Damn. For about the same you could get a Dtek White Water, that is unquestionably better than all the previously mentioned blocks. Not significantly, but no one will argue that it isn't better.

Alacritan said:
So then you're looking at roughly $60 for a block. Damn. For about the same you could get a Dtek White Water, that is unquestionably better than all the previously mentioned blocks. Not significantly, but no one will argue that it isn't better.

I'll argue that the TDX is better at higher flow rates with the right nozzles installed (4 or 5)

http://www.procooling.com/reviews/html/danger_den_tdx_nozzle_tests_-_.php

i hear dtek's whitewater is a good one... so between the swiftech 6002 or the whitewater? how about my GPU? the pricy DD 6800 block looks good... are there really any other options on the market? I dont really want to use ramsinks and would rather jsut WC the whole card.

Yep, the Whitewater is very good, it performs about the same as the 6002. The only downside is that it uses 3 barbs so the tubing can be a little more difficult.

About the GPU, the only other block i know of that will cool your gpu as well as the ram is from innovatek, but i doubt it will fit on a 6800.

how would you mount the white water with 3 nozzles? im looking into getting wc, and i think i have a pretty good grasp on things, but im just wondering how a 3 nozzle waterblock, such as the ww or rbx, would work. 2 tubes going in (use a y splitter?) and one going out?

Another reason not to get a dtek whitewater (and the biggest one, imo) is you can only get it with poly or aluminum top. Both of those choices suck big hairy potatoes.

yeah thats the main problem. What happens if the alum corrodes? does it mess up all your WC parts, or does it make things leak and mess up your whole computer, or just your wb? Also, is there a way to make the poly stronger somehow? It seems like a lose-lose situation, but they ARE good blocks.

For the 2 outlets on the WW, do you want to connect the 2 with a Y splitter? would that recude flow at all?

yeah but if i go with the swiftech.. it's copper.. doenst that corrode too?

well you are GOING to have some copper in your system, that is inevitable. Copper and Alum only corrode when the two are mixed together. So because you are without a doubt going to have copper in your system, it will only corrode if you put some alum in there. Even if you do there are ways around it such as addatives, but nothing is 100%.

ok.... soooo if i went all copper than the corrosion would be less... soooo if i get a whitewater i should go with the poly top not the alum top?

well, there in lies the problem. Yes, you would have no corrosion if you got the poly top. However, polytops run the risk (and its a BIG risk) of cracking. If that happens, it starts to leak all of a sudden, which means water gets everywhere, which means your system is most likely about to be fried. Personally Id go with the Alum top and look into addatives for the water that would reduce/get rid of corrosion, as i wouldnt ever want anything that has a slim chance of leaking in my comp.

I disagree. Poly tops are certainly not a BIG risk. Yes it is a somewhat less stable seal than say the solid cast Swiftys, but I would suggest that unless the end user is doing something stupid or irresponsible, then the chance of a poly top failure is VERY slim. Especially a WW or a TDX/DD Variant which are manufactured as well as we all know they are. It would either have to be a major pressure scenario or someone who was careless and improperly reseated the top. Remember that in the forums, generally most of what we hear is "Jesus christ my poly ruptured and ejaculated all over my NB." We (hopefully) never get daily reports of smooth running.

Do not let the poly or non-poly issue top be your deciding factor in block selection.

That said... get a 6002. :cool:

Last edited:
jackrungh said:
I disagree. Poly tops are certainly not a BIG risk. Yes it is a somewhat less stable seal than say the solid cast Swiftys, but I would suggest that unless the end user is doing something stupid or irresponsible, then the chance of a poly top failure is VERY slim.

Yes, I agree. What I was trying to say was that if that DOES happen, its not good. sure it might not, but if it does you have a big problem. And if you can find a 6002 send a pm my way

Back