• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Danger Den Heater Core - Two Shrouds Necessary?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't like that particular shroud. Most ppl feel the optimal distance from the fan to fins should be at least 1.5"-2" to avoid dead space from the fan. But if you plan to do a push and pull config, it's better to have 2 shrouds. I have also read their is only 1-2 degrees difference b/w 1 and 2 fan configuration but even 1-2 degrees are worth it for some OC.

I'm debating whether I should just go for the double heater core from Danger Den. Boy, I could fit 4 x 120 mm fans on it ... although I don't see how you'd mount shrouds on the heater core. It would be sweet.

Thanks for the info about the shrouds.

Push Pull is not a good concept....it yields no noticable results over just pull.
YOu dont need two shrouds for it... you need a double HC shroud. Dont get any shrouds with plenum depths less than 1.25" .
Shrouds are either mounted with rods, or clip-on (on certain shroud/Core combos).
You can always mount your shroud McGyver style with some glue or zip-ties.
Do some research.

SenC.

Senater_Cache said:
Push Pull is not a good concept....it yields no noticable results over just pull.SenC.

Well doing push/pull has lowered the temps for alot of people here. Mine dropped 2C, when go from push to pull there was no temp drop.

Wicked_Klown said:
Well doing push/pull has lowered the temps for alot of people here. Mine dropped 2C, when go from push to pull there was no temp drop.

That's entirely dependent on what fans are used though. 25mm thick and using two made a difference for me. 38mm thick and never could see a difference other than noise.

The most practical application of push/pull fans on a single rad is for people who want a quiet system. If you are running decently powered fans, push/pull doesn't make that much difference. However, start turning the fan voltages down (to make it quiet) and the push/pull starts making a bigger difference compared to pull or push only. It also takes up alot of room if you use good (38mm deep) fans and good (1.5-2 inch deep) shrouds.

I don't like the danger den shrouds that are squared off and close to the rad surface (both bad features). Ideal is further away from the surface and angled sides to funnel air smoothly between the fan and rad.

i had some homemade steel 1.25" deep shrouds. I liked them alot. However i got new 38MM deep fans to replace my old crappy enermax fans and there was no longer room for 2 fans, my 2 shrouds, and the heatercore. I grabbed the shrouds from dangerden specifically for the thickness (or lack thereof). The fans i have now seem to move a bit more air and the temps are a couple degrees lower. I don't think the shroud thickness makes too much difference once you get to less than 1.5" or so. I like my new shrouds just fine, and they look darn purdy :D.

J.

juliendogg said:
i had some homemade steel 1.25" deep shrouds. I liked them alot. However i got new 38MM deep fans to replace my old crappy enermax fans and there was no longer room for 2 fans, my 2 shrouds, and the heatercore. I grabbed the shrouds from dangerden specifically for the thickness (or lack thereof). The fans i have now seem to move a bit more air and the temps are a couple degrees lower. I don't think the shroud thickness makes too much difference once you get to less than 1.5" or so. I like my new shrouds just fine, and they look darn purdy :D.

J.

Did you try one of the new 38mm fans with one of the 1.5 inch deep shrouds by itself? I'm curious if the results would be about the same as your current setup using the shorty shrouds and 2 deep fans. It would have the advantage of being a smaller package.

gungeek said:
Did you try one of the new 38mm fans with one of the 1.5 inch deep shrouds by itself? I'm curious if the results would be about the same as your current setup using the shorty shrouds and 2 deep fans. It would have the advantage of being a smaller package.

If i did that it would have to be a push setup, or both shrouds and one fan pulling. my rad is in the bottom front and because of the location of the front I/O and Power button i only had just enough room for a 120mm hole. It's really a bear to get my heatercore combo out of the case. Just enough room for it. I like having the push/pull cuz i can crank down the fan speed through my fan controller and temps don't suffer very much if at all.

J.

I'm not sure about the rads though. My case is just SLIGHTLY too shallow to fix the DD one (it's like 5 7/8" deep and I need 6 1/8")...I guess this will mean that I am mounting it externally or something ... hunh. Unless I can force it in there. Heh. If I can't get it to mount internally (which would be okay), I'll just go for the double - uber cooling power!

Last edited:
Back