• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Wonferful World of H20

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Top Secret

Registered
Right, so; I've been coming to ocforums.com for maybe a year now. Problem is I've always had hotmail. I got a gmail invite so now here I am. So just to start, Hi. :)

Right, so. A few months back, I built my first system. P4P800, 3.0C, etc etc. For cooling I chose the classic SP-94/Tornado setup and I must say, I'm fairly happy with it. But I think it's time for me to move on. My brother is interested in purchasing it off me for a fair price and I've some extra cash. So, what now? Water Cooling. :)

I know a guy who's into getting wet, but he says he's been out of the game for six months, so he doesn't know what's new/good anymore. I've been reading through the WC stickies (Very useful) and I've learned a lot. Pelts, tubing sizes, blocks, pumps etc etc. Unfortunately I'm a bit overwhelmed. I know heatsinks, not blocks. I open a page of water blocks on www.sidewindercomputers.com and I can't tell the differance between them besides 1 or 2 dollars here and there. *Blush*

Basically, I have about 300 to spend, maybe a bit more. What are the best/ very good CPU and GPU waterblocks? Also, where can I get "Pelts" and what would you people reccomend? I guess I'm going with 1/2 tubing if I have the choice. Do I really need a reservoir? I've heard that it's kind of optional. If so, which one? Any reccomendations on pumps? I don't mean to come in here and say "Build me a watercooling setup" because I feel that's a bit rude, but I guess that's what I'm asking. :(

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated though. I'm a water n00b.

*Edit*

Also, my GPU is BFG 6800U and I've already removed my NB fan so I'd need a north bridge cooler too. Do they have any blocks out for the 6800's? Thanks again. :)

First off, if you want to know about blocks you need to check them all out. Go to these sites and just get a look at them. Danger Den makes very quality (mostly) poly topped blocks. Here you want to look most specifically at the TDX, RBX and the Maze4 GPU block. D-Tek sells the adaptation of Cathar's Whitewater block, which in my opinion is 2nd best, but are adored by many and excellent for very high flow setups. Finally, my favorite is of course Swiftech. Very established in the community and here you most likely want to go for the 6000 or the 6002 depending on whether your setup is 3/8" or 1/2". There are others like the spir@l blocks, but I dont have much knowledge about them and think they are generally of a lesser quality. Definately suggest 1/2" tubing unless your pump has some massive head or you have a very restrictive enclosure. Finally, with respect to blocks, Procooling's block comparison chart is the ultimate end locale for finalizing your block choice. It requires a little knowledge going in, but is very illuminating and helped me a lot. Finally, one rule I stick by. If you are going to go the impingement block route (specifically DD blocks) you really need a bat out of hell pump like the Swiftech MCP650 or even Iwakis. For other blocks you can generally get very righteous temps with lesser pumps not designed specifically for our purposes.

Wow... that was a doozy. Well, I hope that gets you started. Id suggest doing at least weeks of research to gain a good wealth of knowledge about the scene before purchasing. Yeah I know, but its worth it, and youll get addicted, which hurts so good.

Good luck,
:cool:

Wow! Thanks a lot man. :santa: *Saves chart in favourites*

Yeah, I plan to do weeks of research (Like I did with heatsinks) I'll look around for that heavy duty pump you posted. Nothing like clean reliable power. :thup:

Back