• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone use a standard radiator fan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jamesavery22

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7921624391&category=33600

Building an external box to hold my pumps, fill/bleed kit, T line, and HCs. Need to make it as thin as possible so I was searching for thin fans and found these. Anyone use em? Obviously would need to put them on a controller... but they seem like a good idea, designed to move air through dense radiators, thin, and 12v...

Might just be a little too loud especially if you dont control em. But was wondering if anyone had used them in the past...

Electron Chaser said:
You may want to post this in the watercooling section. Nice fan though :eek:

Thought maybe someone used the fan just for the case =) Like mount it on the side just blowing down.

1500cfm seems kinda high though...

its actually not as bad as a tornado
tornados are small which makes them higher pitch, human ears are more sensitive to a higher pitch.
since you not cooling a freakin car radiator, you probably don't want to run at full speed so at a slow speed (7v? or 5v?) it might actually be okey :)
but with that 6.8amp draw, you might need an extra psu :-/

Ive seen others that were rated at 600something CFM. Probably a much better fit, but they were from ripoff yahoo stores selling for over twice the price. Just need to watch ebay for awhile and find a lower rated one.

Alot of them say the motor is "reversable..." Does that mean you can just flip the +12 an gnd leads to reverse the fan? Or does that mean you can physically take the motor out, flip it, and throw it back in?

jamesavery22 said:
Ive seen others that were rated at 600something CFM. Probably a much better fit, but they were from ripoff yahoo stores selling for over twice the price. Just need to watch ebay for awhile and find a lower rated one.

Alot of them say the motor is "reversable..." Does that mean you can just flip the +12 an gnd leads to reverse the fan? Or does that mean you can physically take the motor out, flip it, and throw it back in?

Take the fan off. Flip it over then reverse the wiring. I use this type of fan in my 68 Impala Custom.

SysCrusher said:
Take the fan off. Flip it over then reverse the wiring. I use this type of fan in my 68 Impala Custom.

Was hoping you could just reverse the wiring =( That way I could just make a switch to flip to pull or push.

When they say "quiet", they mean the noise you hear from within your vehicle. In that setup, theres a big chunk of iron/aluminum, a big [usually insulated] plate of steel, a steel firewall, a dashboard, glass, and other insulation dampening the sound from the engine bay. By quiet they mean a bit less than a tornado when its in your car.

It should work great, but don't count on it being inaudible from room to room or floor to floor in your house.

HiProfile said:
When they say "quiet", they mean the noise you hear from within your vehicle. In that setup, theres a big chunk of iron/aluminum, a big [usually insulated] plate of steel, a steel firewall, a dashboard, glass, and other insulation dampening the sound from the engine bay. By quiet they mean a bit less than a tornado when its in your car.

It should work great, but don't count on it being inaudible from room to room or floor to floor in your house.

Yeah slowely being turned off from it =( Guess I'll just go with 4 120x38s.

jamesavery22 said:
Was hoping you could just reverse the wiring =( That way I could just make a switch to flip to pull or push.

That can work depending upon the fan blades, if their made to go both ways. I seen one that all you had to do was reverse the wiring but it had a lower cfm rating. Which model that is, I couldn't tell you. Most of them including mine, you have to flip the fan over and reverse the wiring.

Back