• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DIY a waterblock for 6800GT and Ultra for cheap

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

windwind

Registered
DIY a waterblock for 6800GT/U for cheap

If you have a spare Maze4 CPU block, time to resurrect it.

What you need to modify to 6800 waterblock is a pair of elbow barbs, bolts, nuts and washers.

The only hard work is to saw off some lenght of an elbow barb, and a little in the thread so that it'd only take out 2 PCIs when installed.

I got it done in 30 minutes only. The performance is a little better than the NV68 I have. Idle temperature is in sub-40C area and full load hardly add 3C to it.

maze4_mod.jpg

maze4_6800.jpg

Last edited:
By the way, my maze4 is AMD version, not sure if P4's one will work or not.

Last edited:
Big_Baller, no idea on this coz i don't have a maze3

One of the barb need to be shorter otherwise u've no way to get it screwed in place.

Could you drill and tap the base of the wb and just use all 4 holes?

I remember people saying 6-32s or maybe 4-40s didnt fit, anyone have a dialcaliper that can measure the diameter of those holes?

The maze3 holes would work since they are the same but you run into the size of the maze3 block. It has more of a square shape which would hit some ram coolers and possibly other things on the board.

It's always fun to see people modify products when the market leaves a hole somewhere like we have for the 6800 cards. Nice job!

Its like what i did for my Maze 2 block i just drilled some holes in the block attached 2 brackets cuss the block wasnt long enough and used those 2 brackets to mount the block on the A64 motherboard which uses only 2 holes and are in them iddle not the sides.

My Maze 3 will fit on the 6800 also i made a thread asking about what you guys think. My only consern isnt the ram sinks getting i nthe way cuss the block is more of a square its the weight of it.

the weight cant be nearly as much as the nv-68. i would still use the stock x-shaped plate on the back though.

Why would u use the plate when the blocks can only be mounted using bolts and only 2 sides not 4, it would actually be more in the way then any help. How much do the NV68's weigh, cuss my Maze 3 Acrylic top is pretty big its twice the size and thickness of the Maze 4 in that picture

Feel surprised to see my old thread got resurrected.
I don't have the 6800GT anymore, though I'd still try my best to give my comments.

You don't really need to use all 4 holes (and drilling through arylic is a really bad idea), the die of 6800GT is quite big so it's very solid contact with some pressure.

Regarding the weigh, it's even lighter than a DD Maze4 GPU, so u get the idea.

By the way, becareful with 6800 cards. They are very very fragile.

This didnt crack or chip youre core did it? Cuss im wondering if i do this with my Maze 3 since the other 2 holes arent mounted, what happens if a hose moves while working on the pc or something ? This wont crack or chip my core will it ?

Also how tight should i make it on b oth ends? Like loose or really tight

Yeah I'm interested in this as well, looks real good. I'm just hesitant to use just the 2 holes though I guess it shouldn;t really matter before this series they all had just 2 holes.

Where di you get those 2 thin long plastic bolts. I went to Ace hardware today and the smalest they had for the holes on the 6800 werent long enough and the plastic ones were to thick.

The ones i just bought to see if they would work, are tad to big they fit in the hole they just get stuck, i dont wanna force it in so i have to find some smaller ones.

My 6800GT was sold coz I got a XTPE.

Never cracked 6800 core, bigger die size = much rigid contact = hard to get crack in corners. Just give it enough spring pressure, even mounting with 2 holes it'd have very good contact with waterblock. You might not need springs, just don't over-tighten. After the block is mounted it shouldn't sliding without great force. I'd try to post some pics of the properly mounted blocked later.

6800 series are very fragile in the power regulatory components. IMHO don't try to improve cooling on any part of them.

Regarding bolts for mounting, it could be quite hard to find the right size that would fit the holes. Otherwise you will have to enlarge the holes.

How do i enlarge the holes without breaking my $400 card? Take a screw driver with small drill bit and go in the hole slowly or something ? WHta happens if it starts to get passed the metal part on the hole and starts to drill a little on the actuallyt card? cuss the holes have a little bit of extra room around them you know what i mean

CandymanCan said:
How do i enlarge the holes without breaking my $400 card? Take a screw driver with small drill bit and go in the hole slowly or something ? WHta happens if it starts to get passed the metal part on the hole and starts to drill a little on the actuallyt card? cuss the holes have a little bit of extra room around them you know what i mean
Candy - I wouldn't drill anything at all on the card. I don't have my 6800 yet - next week - but if the holes are the same size as the Ti4400/FX5900 cards, I could send you some small black screws and nuts. I use them on my diy gpu block. I didn't need to use springs with these. I couldn't find any this small in a retail hardware store either. I get them from work. pm me if you like.

Back