• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My 1st Time! Pics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JPetrillo

I always wanted to have a water cooled rig, with the much needed help of people from this forum, I'm making that happen right now! :D

Here's what I got so far:

My case:
11-156-019-12.JPG

11-156-019-09.JPG

The modifactions I have done to it so far:

casemod001.jpg

The 120mm fan nicely cut into the top of the case as a blow hole which should work out really nice. I didn’t have room to squeeze this fan in-between the CDROM drive and PSU, since my new PSU is longer than my old one. It's no big deal though, I'm just going to put the CDROM drive in the 2nd bay down from the top and then use that top bay for my fan controller.

casemod002.jpg

Here is the bottom section of the case cut out for the heater core to fit in. It should fit nicely on it's side laying down with the barbs on the close end. As soon as it comes in I will cut out most of the front to match up with the heater core and then mount it. Hopefully it all goes as planned!

casemod003.jpg

Here's the front of my case all done now. Drilled in 70 holes almost perfectly to help more air get into the heater core. Hopefully it makes a big of a difference as the time it was worth. Also you may have noticed I painted the inside of it blue. It's looks pretty cool like that. I did it just because
I'm going to paint the inside of the case that same color as well. And I need to find a cool case badge to put on there!

And then here is everything I've bought for the project:

-------------------------------------
Radiator:

heater_core_small.gif

DangerDen Heater Core
Specs: Outside: 6 1/8" x 7 3/8" x 2"
With 1/2" Barbs

Fan Shroud:

Shroud%20kit.jpg

D-Tek Core Fan Shroud Kit
Specs: 1 3/8" X 6" x 5 7/8"

Fan for the Heater Core:

ystech120full.jpg

YS Tech 120x38mm
Specs: 3pin - 125.5CFM - 45dBA

Fan for the Blow Hole:

4blueledfanfull.jpg

LED Blue 120x25mm
Specs: 3pin - 69CFM - 4 LEDs

Other:

3 to 4 PIN with RPM Sensor Wire Adapter
I rather not run the YS Tech off the motherboard.

And this is how it will be mounted to the front of my case:

radiator_assembly.JPG

Pump:

ex-pmp-22.jpg

Swiftech MCP650™ 12v Water Pump
Specs: 317 GPH (1200 LPH)
Maximum Head: 10 ft (3.1 m)

Reservoir:

ex-res-39.jpg

Green UV Reactive Tundra
Specs: Single 5.25" Bay Reservoir

Tubing:

ex-tub-29.jpg

Tygon Anti-Kink
Specs: 1/2" ID (5/8" OD) - 7ft.

Coolant:

ex-liq-02.jpg

ex-liq-02_3.jpg

Swiftech HydrX Coolant
Specs: Green UV Reactive

So I still have a few more things to get, but I would say I'm off to a good start. There are already a few things I would do differently if I went and did this again a 2nd time, but hey... it's my 1st time, what should I expect?! :D

Looks like a good plan. The only thing you should consider is your radiator setup. I have had better experiences with the fan PUSHING the air through the radiator instead of pulling.
You should also double check to make sure that the DTek shroud works with that heater core. I have both the dangerden heatercore and dtek 120 and they have different sized shrods.

Thanks Killaapp :)

Nico3k, the DTek shroud isnt the one thats made for the DTek Pro-120 Rad. They got two different shroud's - one for their Pro-120 rad and then this other one I got thats like 6x6 which will fit the DD Heater core almost perfectly ;)

Do most people have the rad fan pushing air out from inside the case out??

JPetrillo said:
Do most people have the rad fan pushing air out from inside the case out??

Looks good so far. You've got good components.

Most people who use 1 fan tend to have it pulling air rather than pushing through the rad. I believe that pulling is slightly better for axial fans. I also think a pulling setup in the lower front intake makes for a smaller fan/shroud/rad package when tubing is considered.

Alright, I'm just going to leave it as I have it now.

The thing thats really scaring me now is I cant run the tubes any way without them kinking... I thought this Tygon stuff was supposed to be "kick proof" ?!?!

Definetely PULL outside air in through the rad.

When I had bayres, it actually didn't make my life any easier. And when I did *sol flush, it cracked...

Cutting out the front grill to help air flow to the rad is good thing but your front cover doesn't look too airflow friendly...

LOL.. cant. They'll be too close and it'll crack ;)

Like I said though... if I ever did it a 2nd time there would already be some things I would do differently - that being one of them. But for this system that will just have to be enough. I'm thinking it will be :)

Last few Case Mods before Paint...

Finished up the last few case mods just now. Opened up the one 60mm hole in the back, and at the same time cut in a 2nd 60mm hole just for that extra amount of exhaust. I know it's not a lot, but it cant hurt... right?!

Back of case - Before:

case_back_stock.jpg

Back of case - After:

casemod004.jpg

Yes, the holes arent perfect, but its going to get the job done... thats all that really matters. It was a hard spot to get at. And anyways... it's the back side of the case - who's going to see it??

Front of case - Heater core spot cut open:

casemod005.jpg

Getting closer now finally! :D

Look nice. I like how the Heatercor is a perfect fir for the front of the case. If you were to paint the fins I think it would look good even without the cover.
What did you use to cut out the blow hole? Looks like a good job, unless the grill covers the imperfections, :)
I'm just curious, because I'm looking to add 2 120mm fans up top for my HC and a window.

Jbroad572 said:
Looks like a good job, unless the grill covers the imperfections, :)
The grill does cover the little imperfections and makes it look perfect. That was done free hand with a jig saw :) It was all done free hand. The only real pain was those two 60mm holes in the back... they where just so small and in such a hard spot to really get at. But its the back of the case so I dont care! :)

Glad everyone thinks its coming out good so far! :D I've never done this before so I really cant tell myself!

Getting closer now!

Primed:

casemod006.jpg

Painted and Mounted:

watercooled001.jpg

I like how its going so far... I just really really hope it works right!

Wow, that's awesome man. Looks great. I never knew that the radiators for WC setups were so small. For some reason I thought that I has heard that people used car radiators from junk yards. Hmmmm.

That's a great looking case, I can't wait to see what overclock you get. Didn't you have a NF7 before? What happened to it. I see the Epox, but no Abit.

Thanks enduro :)

enduro said:
Didn't you have a NF7 before? What happened to it. I see the Epox, but no Abit.
LOL, Dont even ask!

ooops.JPG

And before I managed to pull that one off I broke that diode under the CPU off lol. Anyways, I think this EPoX is going to be MUCH better than the Abit. We shall see.

Back