• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ballistix vs Samungs TCCD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Killa-AMD

Which is more appropriate for an A64 2800+ AX newcastle core. I hear both are extremely nice. i'm aiming for 2.4-2.5 ghz. That would require some badass ram for a 9 multi.

As an owner of both, I also have to say TCCD at this point. The Samsung does just as well as the Ballistix at DDR500 and is overclockable. Without at least 3.0-3.5 Volts on the Micron chips, I'm not sure they would clock nearly as well.

However, I will say that they are very comparable. The TCCD just feels a tad bit more stable to me.

Odie :)

You can use a divider on the memory without much hit on performance. For example: 277 x 9 = 2493. With the ram set to 166 it will run at about 231 MHz: (277 x 5)/6=231.

i dunno i have been toying with buying the tccd's but i don't think i will. I am very satisfied with my ballistix purchase

atm i am testing 235 2.5 2 2 5. Seems to be running it no problems.

277 used to be OWNED by hynix. not anymore .the tccd is appearing in the adata ddr566 and i just hit 294 last nite 1-1 with my 2x256 pqi modules.. now if ur looking for low latecy up to 250, it looks like the ballistix is the better performer.

flapperhead said:
277 used to be OWNED by hynix. not anymore .the tccd is appearing in the adata ddr566 and i just hit 294 last nite 1-1 with my 2x256 pqi modules.. now if ur looking for low latecy up to 250, it looks like the ballistix is the better performer.

This is right on. I have partially take back what I said in favor of the TCCD.

This thread made me curious, so I did some thorough testing with my PC4000 Ballistix and PQI Turbo PC3200.

I tested each 512 stick in every slot of my Epox. Didn't want to deal with trying to make 1GB work because I knew the results wouldn't be indicative of the capabilities of the memory.

So here goes:

Both the PQI and Crucial can do 2-2-2-5 at 200HTT, 2.6V, 1:1, 1T, no problems.

My PQI can hold 2.5-3-3-7 at 245HTT, but needs to do 3-3-3-X in order to do 250HTT. The Crucial can do 250 at its stock 2.5-3-3-8 timings. Both DDR500 voltages were 2.7V, 1:1, 1T.

Neither the PQI or the Crucial could do really anything more than 250HTT. Though, I am limited to 2.7VDimm (undervolting POS Epox), so it's hard to say if proper voltage could help either of the memory modules. It seems from the PQI thread that it doesn't really help; however, on Micron chips voltage is a staple. (Hopefully when DFI boards become available I can test again).

I then tested on 2T data rate. I left all of the settings the same as the 250HTT settings above. The PQI achieved 275HTT while the Crucial achieved 285HTT. Note, however, that Sandra scores were roughly the same as DDR500 1T settings and that bandwidth efficiency dropped from 95% to 85%.

So, that said, it seems like the TCCD does what it is suppoed to do: high speeds at low voltages and pretty decent timings. It competes with the Ballistix save for its need to do CAS 3 for 250HTT speeds. I feel, however, that the Micron chips on Ballistix could really take off if they had 3.0+ volts applied to them. I haven't seen anyone with a DFI board using it, but when I get mine I'll check it out.

Like I said before, both the PQI and the Crucial are really similar, scored similarly and both scale as you clock them. I don't think one can go wrong with getting either.

Best,

Odie :)

True. I left out the fact that I have very active cooling over my memory :)

I'm sorry the Ballistix didn't work out for you, Situman.

Odie

Back