• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is 1x 120mm rad enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gongo56

for my setup? I'm not planning on ocing crazy amounts.. maybe just the gt to ultra speeds and play around with my cpu.

I dont really have a budget limitation.
I dont have room for a dual 120mm rad.
I have been told not to go to 80mm rads

so... is 1 120mm rad good enough to cool both the cpu and gpu/sinks? Can I go to 2x 120mm rads going from pump-cpu-rad1-gpu-rad2-res-pump if i use a swiftech 650? I was thinking rad on the top, fan sucking cool air in, rad in the back fan blowing air out.

suggestions?

One heatercore like a Chevette, which fits 120mm fan is pwerful enough to start things rolling, you can have two fans via push/pull but the benefit of push/pull versus pull is a subject of debate here, I prefer one fan pulling air through the rad from outside the case and a blow-out-fan at the back of the case....just depends

mata2974 said:
One heatercore like a Chevette, which fits 120mm fan is pwerful enough to start things rolling, you can have two fans via push/pull but the benefit of push/pull versus pull is a subject of debate here, I prefer one fan pulling air through the rad from outside the case and a blow-out-fan at the back of the case....just depends

This has been my experience also. For a mid-tower case, a shrouded chevette heatercore with a single 120x38mm fan pulling is a fairly optimum solution without extensive case mods.

I was actually looking at the DD Black Ice because of the thinness

Hey maybe your interested in this kit

http://swiftnets.com/products/h20-120-0.asp

its $220 on swiftechs web site. Or if you have P4 and want to order it through new egg, its only $184

The kit comes with everything that you would need and has one of the best pumps, CPU blocks, and comes with cool sleeves to prevent crimps in the hose.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the really cool Fill and Bleed kit that comes with it! ($30) However, it is not needed in a water setup, most people use a T line which serves the same purpose and costs much less if you dont buy the kit.

Last edited:
hmm is there going to be much performance difference between the BI Pro and the BI extreme? how about if i use 2 of them?

I ran a 2500+ @ 2.1 vcore along with my 1.7v chipset and Ti4400 all on water, only through a dual 80mm rad and an L30. I think you should be fine.

The Pro is not as thick as the Extreme, so it will have less air resistance for your fans.

Im sure you have heard it before but I encourage the HC option.

I dont worry about performance too much but i hate to see you guys shelling out $$ for those black ice rads.

The different between the BIX and the BIP (black ice xtreme/pro) is the pro is thinner, so it has less surface area. This is bad for cooling in theory. But some people have found that with a slower moving fan they can increase performance by 3-4 degrees celcius since the fans dont need to work as hard to pull the same amount of air through the rads...

Yes the HC are cheaper, and perform the same if not better.

yeah, i know but i'm also vain and want good looks too.. so i think i'm going with 2x 120 BI pros.. currently on sale at directron for 39.99 per. whee :clap:

Some guys have made some REALLY good looking cases with HC, but yea i agree, i like looks.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=308487

21.jpg

73.jpg

Back