• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1024@166 or 512@200?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MUTCHYMAN

Registered
OK, here is my situation....I have a 2 OCZ 3500EL sticks of ram to add up to 512mb (They can get some very low latencies). I also have a 512 stick of generic off brand PC-2700 (latencies are 2.5). My question is should i Use the 1 gig of ram and run my Proccessor at a 166 FSB or should i use the 512mb of ram and run at 200 FSB.

What kind of processor do you have?

IMO i would go without the PC2700 memory. Gonna bog down your system bigtime if your using an athlon 64 or P4.

If you have an Athlon XP, then i don't see why not just use both.

i have and AMD athlon 2600....non mobile.....but i feel like an idiot. I forgot all about using the ratio thing (like run it at 5:4 instead of 1:1) I guess i get the best of both worlds....hope this improves my performace a little

MUTCHYMAN said:
i have and AMD athlon 2600....non mobile.....but i feel like an idiot. I forgot all about using the ratio thing (like run it at 5:4 instead of 1:1) I guess i get the best of both worlds....hope this improves my performace a little
It will, but not nearly as much as running 1:1

It depends what you are doing - more RAM is better for some things, faster RAM for other things.

So you have three sticks of two totally different kinds of RAM? I would stick with the faster RAM. I wouldn't try running all three sticks since they are so different. You will have issues.

Basically the conclusion is that you want to run at 1:1 and some things will run better with more ram, and some will run better with faster ram.

For instance, my computer running at 2ghz (10x200) is plenty fast enough for Doom3 at Ultra Quality, but UQ requires over 500 mb of ram for texture memory. The result is that my computer will swap (pause for a second and read the hard drive furiously) when it needs more memory, but in between swaps it runs around 50fps. In that particular situation, im sure if i had 1 gb of 2700, it would not swap and my system would still be fast enough, resulting in Ultra Quality at a good frame rate with no swapping.

DoomIII is the only thing i have seen need more than 512mb ram for though (in what I do), so i'd go for the 512@200, personally.

A lot of games play smoother with 1gb of ram. UT2k4, FarCry, and BF1942 from my own experience.

itim100, you claim UQ in d3 at what resolution?

Once again it all depends. 1GB is good but if its really slow it doesnt help. I personally would take the faster RAM. You can always buy MORE later.

MUTCHYMAN said:
Thanks for all your help, i think i am gonna run with the faster ram
I think thats a very wise choise. 166 RAM is really outdated and would hinder your performance considerably.

fldrice said:
Depends what kind of 2700 you got. A lot of the KVR PC-2700 can OC to 3200 speeds.
From what ive seen alot of pc2700 will oc to pc3200 speeds so try the gig at pc3200 speed it should run i just got some really no name brand pc2700 that i built for someone and its running pc3200 speeds at 2.5 3-3-7 so give that a shot.

ok, i'll try it Wat should i use to test it though.....there are no RAM sinks or cooling on it and no fan over it, but i do have good airflow in my case.....can i up the vcore?

Back