• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replacing koolance reservoir, advice plz.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TimeCop

So... my koolance reservoir has started to leak... my attempts to seal it have failed. No more wasting time on it.

The time has come to choose:

Do I spend ~$45 on a new koolance reservoir (w/ the pumps), or
get a "real" pump and make a T line? (My rad is at the top of my case will I have problems with a T line?)

Thanks for the advice in advance...

I say buy a decent pump and reservoir this time around. Just by having it out of your reservoir will improve your temps and the unquestionably better flow rate will help too. $45 can't buy you a decent pump and reservoir. That Koolance stuff isn't too good. Maybe look into a C-Systems pump from Dtek and a dual bay reservoir.

Checked out a review of a dual bay res...

"With 4 holes for water coming into the reservoir and 2 going out, there is not a water cooling configuration that we can think of that would require more."

How would someone use 4 incoming and 2 outgoing? I can see 2 loops but that would just be 2x2 correct?

I would suggest a good pump and T. If you wanted you could have the T ending tubing be 3/4". Many of us do this to carry more water and simulate a res.

Unless you care constantly filling and bleeding and tinkering, then there is no reason for a res.

A dual bay res has 1 inlet and 1 outlet. I've never seen one with four. And sure a t-line makes filling and bleeding easy, but a res is just as easy and it looks cool. It also has more thermal capacity so your system doesn't heat up as fast.

ummm, do you plan on keeping the Koolance WB(s) and rad? if so, than your going to have to stick with 1/4" tube...

but i guess you could get a "good" pump and then kill its flow with the 1/4" tube...

EDIT

PS. id sell/give ya my old Koolance case etc, but my res has a leak too

Where you happy with the results that you had with the Koolance before the leaking problem? If so, then just get another one from Koolance. Don't beat yourself up over it. I love my koolance and have no regrets buying it.

If you weren't happy, then maybe it's time to build a DIY system.

NavyDood said:
Where you happy with the results that you had with the Koolance before the leaking problem? If so, then just get another one from Koolance. Don't beat yourself up over it. I love my koolance and have no regrets buying it.

If you weren't happy, then maybe it's time to build a DIY system.

I agree!

I have a Koolance, it's running great. If something were to go wrong, I'd probably just fix it if it's minor.

But question, how did the res. break in the first place?

Must be from the contraction and expansion due to the heat in addition to the vibration from the pumps. Just speculation though. ;P

the problem is normally at the base, where you empty water out, it develops star cracks if you tighten it too much. If its still under warranty, they might ship you a replacement. If you decide to ditch Koolance for your own home made staff, most parts are useful down the road, like I did with mine (see sig.)

Back