• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

yellow highlighter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SOShootME

Boy do I feel stupid.

When I was building my first WC rig, I heard all about using the ink from a yellow highlighter to get your water to be very UV green. In my infinite wisdom I bought the $5.00 bottle of dye from DangerDen. I started with just a few drops as instructed, but it gave a mild UV reaction. It didn't get any brighter no matter how much I added.

Well I just rebuilt my system after another Via 1300 pump failure ;) and added what was left of my DD dye. Nothing... no UV action at all. So I broke open a handy yellow highlighter and proceeded to squeeze the shi... er.. ink out of it. I now have the brightest green UV water that I have ever seen. I only used a few drops, and it is incredibly bright compared to the DD stuff.

BTW.. be careful when your squeezing the ink out. I also have the brightest green UV fingers I have ever seen. :-/

It actually glows green under UV (black) light. Draw on some paper and hold it up to some UV and you will see how bright the ink glows.

I just took this pic, no flash and only the UV lights in the case. It doesn't do it justice.

yellow_highlight.JPG

The contrast isn't right, but you can see how bright the the tubes look. They are much "greener" in person.

I did sleeve the cables when I was first assembling this thing last year. The PSU went bad and I didn't have the desire to go through the process again. Lazy I guess. :)

I am not sure if it stains tubes, but i do that for some water pumps. The pigments in the highlighter will start to harden in your water after a few months and then clog your pump. Now this isnt for EVERY pump but it does clog some. in order to unclog it you need to open up the pump and take out all of the gunky residue from the gears.

I remember reading about this in a previous post. I got all the way to page 7 here and couldnt find it, granted i didnt look too hard. I also may have read it on procooling.com... i didnt even check there though for i am heading to the lake home for the weekend right now.

HOLY SAURHISUFHKSJF~!!
i just used a needle to suck out some higliter juice and put it in my loop and OMFG!!! IT OWNS UV DYE!!! i pay 5-10$ for uv dye and is nowhere near as bright as this!!!!

holy c*@p I just cacked open a few tubes and now my fluid is glowin twice as much as swiftechs HydrX :)

This is great i ahve some highliters sittign around :) but giblet did u spill some highliter on your connection from pump :p

I had yellow hi-lighter running in a loop for about half a year. The pump was clog free but it did stain my tubes (clearflex). I reused the tubing in my current setup and it now the tubing itself has a tint of green rather than the usual blue tint in clearflex. Keep in mind I stuck a whole stick in my reservoir and let it soak till it was dry white.

how does it look without UV? i dont plan on having any uv in my loop, but when i get bored with clear water i may try this...hey, free is free.

Glow junkies.....the ravers of the OC community. :rolleyes:

Bring the girls back to your room, yeah theyll be all over you once they see the UV tubing and your tight window applique.

:p

Back