• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heater Core used?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JPetrillo

I just got my heater core today from Danger Den.

There is purple water coming out of it... is it used?!?!

Sounds like it's been used already to me. Possibly one that someone may have RMA'ed and they just reshelved for sale again because they found nothing wrong with it.

Grrrr... Not in the mood for this right now.

I just stuck a q-tip down the barbs and rubbed up against the inside of them and it came out blue...

They may use purple ice in the water if they pressure test the heatercores. With plain tap water, they'd have to be very careful to get all of it out.

Well if they did they didnt get it all out. I sent them an e-mail about it.

The insides of the barbs are like all green and werid looking like crap is growing on the inside.

Hello Jesse,

I have not received any heater cores back from customers so I do not know why there is blue water coming out.

We do check all of our heater cores before we send them out, so there will be water in the system.

If you are not happy with the cores we will exchange it for you.

Let me know and I will give you a RMA number.

Best regards,

Kathi

Danger Den

Well... I dont want to wait another two weeks (the amount of time its going to take me to send it back and wait for them to get it and then for them to send me another one back) so I'm just going to keep it.

Whats the best way to flush it out? I ran some water through it from the sink (not much pressure) and its coming out clear, but there was some "chunks" of blue crap coming out (just a little). Looks like something was a little cacked up in there.

Thanks guys :D

Another E-Mail

Hi Jesse,

Sounds like you need to flush out the rad, the green stuff is just oxidation from when the fittings were welded on and will not hurt your systems if cleaned off.
Some times the heater cores were not properly flush out when made, sorry yours was one of those.

Best Regards
Dan Stephens
[email protected]

Sounds like this is what happend after all. We'll see how he suggests to flush it ;)

use some white vineagar, it's really amazing how it clean copper. just pour some in, leave it for a while, then flush with distilled water after (if you use tap, it just corrodes again)

Alright... I'll try it

Now I just need to go buy some white vineagar and distilled water :)

white vinegar will do a fairly amazing job but if there is residue remaining afterwards try filling it will Eagle One Cast aluminum wheel cleaner (available at autozone, pepboys, etc etc) and letting it set for about an hour or two. then flush it out heavily. EO cast aluminum wheel cleaner is a mild acid - I use it to get junk out of my cores all the time after soldering the fittings onto the core.

Also, if you get a stainless steel brush (like those used to clean the faces on revolver cylinders and the like) a little of the wheel cleaner + the SS brush will do wonders for the exterior of any heatercore. it is also a good way to clean around the tanks before painting. as usual, rinse with a ton of distilled water when finished.

Thanks weapon for the aditional ideas. I'll remember that for next time, but this time the white vinegar did the job :D

Two bottles of white vinegar and one gallon of distilled water later and that puppy is as clean as a whistle! I was getting myself so thursty just watching myself rinse it so much and it was getting so clean at the same time I almost took a sip out of it! lol.

But man, it got a lot of !@#$ outta there. Kept on coming out blue for a while and little by little started fading. There was also some small chips of black crap but by the time I was finished with it that water was coming out crystal clear! :D

Thanks!

JPetrillo said:
I was getting myself so thursty just watching myself rinse it so much and it was getting so clean at the same time I almost took a sip out of it! lol.Thanks!

lol. were you rinsing it out with budlight? :beer:

No, but it's funny you should say that... I had one right when I was done with it :D lol

Back