• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1gb Samsung PC2700 @ 420fsb !!!! finally

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xtreme Barton

I have had the longest problem with getting my memory to overclock with dual channel enabled ... i have pc2700 samsung and have never been able to get it up to 400 fsb... me being the hard head that i am i didnt give up... now it may be hard to exactly pin point for me why this finally has happened but it may be of intrest to noobs like myself and maybe someone else out there can explain to me what happened... i sure would enjoy reading anybodys theories behind this.. it may be simple to explain or one of them things that i had wrong from the get go ...

i ran 1gb (512 x 2 ) in dual channel using dimm slots 3 & 1 and could never even get stable fsb above 333 .. beings my ram was rated at 333 i was plain p***ed off.... i took out my ram and left in 1 512mb module in dimm 3.. still no luck even hitting 400 fsb ... i read numerous forums and came across something i still dont understand ( hopefully there is someone ot there who has been through this and has a more scientific answer than who cares why, it works ) .. i changed my pci latency timer from 32 clocks to 64 and booted up fine at 400 fsb.. me being greedy i upped it immediately to 420 fsb and still posted fine.. i ran memtest overnight and no errors where as before i would get errors in the first 10-15 minutes of testing with latency set to 32...
then being even more greedy i said well i cant leave my other poor module laying out in the cold so i decided to use dimm 2 (now using dimm 3 & 2) for my other ( i initially had it setup in dimm3 and 1)... well now with both of these changes i have a 1gb dual channel enabled system running 420 fsb ..
for noobs this may be of interest beings it took me along time to figure out... but for you die hard overclockers maybe you can explain why this may have occured ... i have yet to try to get even higher but will continue to max out the fsb with my current settings and will try to up my latency timer to 128 and see if that helps more.. i have no idea how pci latency timer is related to memory stability but there has to be something there that ive over looked.. i will update as soon as i get my max fsb ..

barton 2500 (1.826 ghz) oc'ed to 2.315 ghz
samsung pc2700 (333 fsb) oc'ed to 420fsb
maxtor 60gb ata133
ti4600 4x (core 300 mhz, memory 650mhz) oc'ed to core 325, memory 675
audigy gamer with logitech surround sound
lite-on cd/rw 52x24x52
asus dvd 16x
volcano 9 & duct mod
fortron 350 psu

good for u my friend. nothing like getting more for ur money.. as to why the settings work better, i have no clue (lol). but i will tell u some of the samsung 333 can really fly. the tcb3 version was used on the ocz original pc3700 gold stuff and it was always near the top in memory comparions

i fugured that pc2700 easily would overclock but dual channel and use of 1gb usually causes problems .. i may be wrong thats just what i thought..

FSB Testing with some KVR2700:

240_fsb.jpg

This is the same stuff I sold 7GB of in the classies BTW ;)

Back