• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Samsung Ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadOnion

Hey, i've recently opened up my computer and checked my ram. I'm interested in getting a dual channel motherboard and another stick of ram, the one pc2700 512mb samsung ram i have now is "k4h560838d-tcb3" and was made in korea. I'm looking to buy another stick of it.. but i cant find it anywhere? is this some pos. generic ram? I see "original samsung pc2700" on newegg, but i dont think its the same thing. Can anyone help me indentify/locate this ram? i've searched samsung's ram too, no to avail.

Do the two ram sticks have to be the exact same model to run properly in dual channel? and not running in dual, would it be bad to have two different brands?

MadOnion said:
Do the two ram sticks have to be the exact same model to run properly in dual channel? and not running in dual, would it be bad to have two different brands?
No, different models/brands should'nt cause any problems in dual channel. However, I would try to get them as close as possible. I have run three different types of ram (tcb3 + ch5 + bh5) in dual channel with no problems. Note, this is on an AMD platform, I can't speak for Intel chipsets. As for the Samsung modules, those tcb3's are/were a pretty good ic. I just don't know if Samsung makes them anymore. If you want to stick with Samsung ram I would get the PC3200. It has the TCCC chips which should be fine with the tcb3 you already have. Just don't expect to run at 200 Mhz.

ic = you mean oc?

Well im looking for another stick of 512 pc2700, and samsung is $87 on newegg.. $10-20 more then kingston and corsair. So i'd get the stick of corsair, but i dont know if it'll cause problems.

MadOnion said:
ic = you mean oc?

ic = integrated circuit, i.e., chip, module, ect.. If the corsair is what you want go for it, you should'nt have any problems. You might consider getting it locally just in case you do have problems it's easier to return.

Two sticks of RAM rated for the same speed (ie PC2100, PC2700, PC3200) and same latency (ie CAS2, CAS2.5) and of the same size (256MB, 512MB etc) should work fine together in dual channel mode.

Oh, then why are there dual channel kits and people say to get the same model? is that just to make sure people dont get different cas, size, etc.?

Different sizes work if you have the same amount on each controller. Different speeds work as long as both sticks can share the same timmings at the slowest sticks speed. I say this with respect to my own experiences on the nf2 chipset. This may not be the case on other platforms. I would recommend that MadOnion buy a stick of PC3200 that will run 2.5-3-3-x (the Samsungs timming) and run it at PC2700 speeds. That way if he decides in the future to go to a 200Mhz fsb he only has to replace one stick.

MadOnion said:
Oh, then why are there dual channel kits and people say to get the same model? is that just to make sure people dont get different cas, size, etc.?
Your probably right. I'll guess manufactures assume most people don't care to manually adjust memory timmings which mixing sticks somtimes entails.

MadOnion said:

The dual channel kits are there to make things easier, and for people to make some money ;) Basically you are guaranteed that there will be no issues when running the memory in dual channel mode.

uthungover said:
I would recommend that MadOnion buy a stick of PC3200 that will run 2.5-3-3-x (the Samsungs timming) and run it at PC2700 speeds. That way if he decides in the future to go to a 200Mhz fsb he only has to replace one stick.

Thats actually quite a good idea... leaves the door open to go to PC3200 later....

doesn't sound bad, will have to spend more on the pc3200 though right? Also, so is that samsung cas 2.5?

You mentioned Corsair, the vs PC2700 cas 2.5 is one dollar less than the vs PC3200 cas 2.5 on newegg. And yes those Samsung chips are cas 2.5.

MadOnion said:
Hey, i've recently opened up my computer and checked my ram. I'm interested in getting a dual channel motherboard and another stick of ram, the one pc2700 512mb samsung ram i have now is "k4h560838d-tcb3" and was made in korea. I'm looking to buy another stick of it.. but i cant find it anywhere? is this some pos. generic ram? I see "original samsung pc2700" on newegg, but i dont think its the same thing. Can anyone help me indentify/locate this ram? i've searched samsung's ram too, no to avail.

the reason u cant find it is cause its an older version of samsung. an oldie but a goodie, these are the very same chips used in the ocz pc3700 gold original version. some of the modules have run to 250+ u might be able to find some on ebay..

I like the Samsung modules (tcb3 and the TCCC) because at PC2700 speeds they will do 2-2-2-x timmings with stock voltage. I have some older computers that don't have alot of overcloking options so running tight timmings is all I do on them. The Samsungs are perfect for this.

woah, great to here i have some awsome ram. ...I never knew, i thought it was just some old stick. Also, nice! the pc3200 stick on newegg like uthungover said is just A dollar more.

So this is the corsair ram i want to get

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-026&depa=1
for $79.

its pc3200 corsair 512mb, i run it with my samsung pc2700 512mb stick, and it should work fine (at 2700 levels ofcourse)? Then later, i can always throw the 2700 stick and just get one more 3200 to run at that speed. Also, will they run in DC too?

Ps. where can i read about memory timings? i real want to setup my ram to run great.

MadOnion said:
Oh, then why are there dual channel kits and people say to get the same model?

Dual channel kits are memory manufacturers way of covering their butt. They test the sticks in DC and they are guaranteed to work. If you buy two sticks of unmatched ram and it won't run DC then you will most likely not be able to get a refund.

It doesn't matter anyway because I'm pretty sure your motherboard doesn't support Dual Channel.

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=845GVM-V&class=mb

Tech said:
Dual channel kits are memory manufacturers way of covering their butt. They test the sticks in DC and they are guaranteed to work. If you buy two sticks of unmatched ram and it won't run DC then you will most likely not be able to get a refund.

It doesn't matter anyway because I'm pretty sure your motherboard doesn't support Dual Channel.

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=845GVM-V&class=mb
No you are correct, that mobo does not support DC :(

Back