• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I Finally Did It. I'm Watercooled And Thrilled!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

.Maximus

Registered
After thinking about how and what to do for a watercolling setup. I finally have finished my system and am very happy about it. The only thing I have to change is the water res. It is too small and the air has knowwhere to go and cannot get rid of the dreaded air bubbles. I am assuming it's the res. From everything I have read about air bubbles searching forums, it seems that my res is too small and I need to make a bigger one. I have to thank Mike Sobik (aka Chief_Wiggum ) for helping me out making this thing. I used his setup as a guidline for what I wanted to acheive. I wish I could get a night picture of what my system looks like, but the darn flash just ruins the picture. Anyway, thanks to everyone here for all the useful information you post on the forums. I couldn't have done this without all the great help you have givin to others, and to me, by searching for my answers in all of these threads. BTW, I have changed the water, and it is much more clear now. Too much UV die.
waterpic.JPG

Yeah, as I stated in the bottom of my post, I did change the water. It really was nasty as hell. Too much UV Die and too much antifreeze. I'll get another pic of it as soon as my wife stops taking pictures with our new digital camera :rolleyes:

nice job. I also have pvc res but don't have problem with bubbles and I'm using only 1" pipe. Are you sure there are no leaks?

Yeah, that is the Ultra X-Connect power supply. Very cool looking and so much easier to connect devices to. nartac I am pretty sure I don't have any leaks. But I can't say for sure that I don't. The only place I can think that there is a leak is the gpu barbs. The are plastic and I don't want to tighten them down too hard. But I did tighten them down a bunch. Is there a good way of seeing if there is a air leak somewhere? nartac, so you have a pic of your res? How tall is it? And where are the inlet and outlet barbs compared to mine? I am just trying to figure out what might be a better way to make another res if needed.

I haven't started oveclocking yet. But as of right now my temps from my mobo read cpu 35*c idle 38* load.

:thup: to the new WC and :thup: to that PSU; I'd love to know how loud/quiet it is compared to my Antec.

I can't hear it at all. The pump is louder than anything, and that is a good thing! Because the pump is very quiet :attn: Compared to my air cooling fan crazy system before, this thing is so quiet I can't stop looking at it to see if it's even on.

Senater_Cache said:
One minor improvement you could make, would be to rotate the MCW 180 degrees, so that the exit barb would be closer to the vid card, thus eliminating about an inch or two of tubing. I think it would also tidy up the look a bit.

I don't know about P4 systems, but with Socket A you can't rotate the MCW6000 because of the mounting clips and because of the shape of the heatsink.

Sorry about the double post, but I have a question about my res. I have turned the computer upsidedown so that the res is at the top. This took car of the air bubble problem. Not a single one in the loop :) However, since I cannot leave my computer like that since I cannot open the front of it, I was think about making a res that would be longer. My thinking is that since air rises to the top of the loop, if my res is longer and above the cpu block(since that is the highest point in the loop) this will make the air rise to the top of the res. Will this work before I waste my time making another res? I have attached a pic of what I am talking about. The line at the top is where the top of the res I would be, above the cpu block.
waterpic2.jpg

oracing said:
and to me, by searching for my answers in all of these threads.
If for no other reason than this, you rock :beer:

But there is - thats a very clean setup you have. Mine's gonna look weird at first due to all the extras I'm tossin' in.

The res would definately benifit from length, but it doesn't necessarily have to be higher than the cpu. Its mainly the intake barb of the res that's the problem - space the barbs out more (by lengthening the res) so that the air bubbles don't get sucked into the other barb, although that looks to be hard to do with your case. The MCP650 has enough flow to shoot bubbles all along the back of that res, meaning they swirl past the lower barb. If nothign else, add a small half circle in the center of the res to sort of divert the water flowing down the back of the res. That should help.

Oracing, I would guesstimate that my res is about 8" or less. I have included a pic of it.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 142
this is also my experience with filling the system and allowing miminal bubbles. One reason that I do not want to have my res fixed is because I can tilt it in any direction. Firstly, I lay my computer on it's side and fill the system as much as I can. Next, I pulse run my pump (turn on and off immediately) which would push my solution to the radiator as well as the whole system and then refill as necessary. Repeat as much as I need until system is filled. By doing this, I notice there is very minimal amount of bubbles left and the system will clear from the bubbles very quickly.

Back