• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Minimum case size needed for WC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Omega Destroyer

I'm just starting to do some research in watercooling my next system. I'm going to buy it sometime soon and I may or may not go the watercooling route, but I want to leave that door open in case I decide to.

Anyway I wanted to know the minimum case size needed to fit all the components in there. Ideally I'd like the put the rad in the case, but I could mount it outside if it's totally necessary, but the pump and resivoir has to be inside.

I was thinking about getting this case:
Link Here

because it's cheap and it has a top and side window, but I'm not sure if everything will fit in it. The good thing about it, is that it has enough room for 4 80mm fans in the front, so I could actually put the rad inside (possibly) but I'm not sure if it will fit.

I know it's not the best brand, but like I said it's cheap, and I'll be replacing the PS with an Antec TP 430. If you're going to suggest other cases, try to keep it in the same price range, and it has to have a side window, and preferably a top one as well.

Yeah that is true, but I was hoping to do as little extra modding as possible, because I don't have the tools, skills or the time to do any of that stuff. I just want something that's easy to set up and not horrible to look at.

What I mean is, what size to people usually recommend/use. Do most people end up using something larger than 18 in, or smaller?

To be able to water cool a system with the least amount of modding possible you want either a server cube or a full tower case.

A large mid-tower may also suit, but most mid-towers need drive cage removal to mount a radiator; some are easy to take out, some are not.

Modding a case for water cooling really is not that tough: a few basic power tools (drill, dremel or jigsaw) some hand tools (pliers, screwdrivers, maybe a file). Add some Desire and a bit of Creativity and you are in good shape. :)

I would suggest getting a fairly cheap case for your first modding efforts though, unless you are very thorough about planning.
Or rich. :D

Back