• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Omg!! Whats Going On? 3 New Mem Kits In A Week, Same Problem!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MtX

Registered
I cannot run any type of memory kit at Dual Channel on the motherboard. I have tried 3 different types of RAM kits and no good; I tried out two Corsair Value Select 1GB PC3200 kits and am currently using Kingston HyperX 1GB PC3200 kit but it does not work either. Cannot run any of the 3 types of RAM at 200 FSB Dual Channel but I can run them perfectly at 200 FSB Single Channel. One thing to note, before I upgrade to 1GB Kit, I had 2x256 Corsair PC3200 non-matched sticks that worked at 200 FSB Dual Channel flawlessly. I am pretty sure it is not the memory since I have tried so many different types and this was working before. What is the problem I get? Random crashes, restarts while doing simple tasks in Windows XP such as MSN, Internet Explorer, etc. I believe it may be the motherboard, maybe it is dying or done performing at it's best? I am already using latest BIOS 26 - I have already tried previous BIOS such as 25, 23 and 22, same problem.

what have i changed in my config since i got the new RAM? many things..

--> BIOS
-i was using bios25 before getting new RAM, after i got new RAM and found out it didnt work, i switched to bios26 (latest one), still have same problems
--> Video Card
-bought a BBA ATi 9800 pro 256 replacing my old 9700 pro in august, it worked fine with the corsair 2x256, shouldnt be a problem?
--> HDD
-bought a SEAGATE 160GB SATA HDD replacing my old WD 80GB SE, it worked fine, shouldnt be a problem?
--> Added 2 more Fans
-Use to 3 have fans (front, back, cpu), now i have 2 more blowing on video card, shouldnt be a problem?
--> MEMORY
-in the past week, i have upgraded from 2x256 to 2x512 kits..

things i have already tried to solve problem
-tried using 5 different bioses, same problem
-only connected things necessary to bootup to save WATTS (cpu, hsf, ram, vid card, hdd), same problem
-used slots 1&3 and 2&3, same problem

things havent tried but may attempt soon
-GOING TO SERVICE PACK 2?
-CLEAN FORMAT AND REINSTALL XP?
-try a 480W PSU once i find one i can borrow (takes time)

Please help me fix this problem. Thank you.

Last edited:
How are you sure its not working? the only way you will see dual channel is if the post screen says ddr dual channel enabled. thats it. it wont really show in benchmarks at all. if anything, it only brings the results closer to your memory's rated speed on athlon xp.
If your getting random restarts, thats more than likely a power issue and you should definatly try out a bigger meaner psu.

Also. are you resetting the memory configuration for each new set? those three sets you mentioned all have different timings and voltages. if you set them for one set and not another, that might give you some problems. are you running by spd?

Valk said:
How are you sure its not working? the only way you will see dual channel is if the post screen says ddr dual channel enabled. thats it. it wont really show in benchmarks at all. if anything, it only brings the results closer to your memory's rated speed on athlon xp.
If your getting random restarts, thats more than likely a power issue and you should definatly try out a bigger meaner psu.

Also. are you resetting the memory configuration for each new set? those three sets you mentioned all have different timings and voltages. if you set them for one set and not another, that might give you some problems. are you running by spd?
Hello,

Dual Channel is working - just that it's UNSTABLE, random restarts with computer. Of course it says ddr dual channel enabled in POST. It even says Dual Channel in CPUZID.. but why is it so unstable? random restarts in windows..

i wouldnt mind if this was single channel RAM i have here, but i tried 3 kits.. plus, the ram I had before upgrading to 1GB kit was 2x256 corsair pc3200 non matched sticks that ran DC @ 200FSB perfectly.. how ironic?

The memory configuration should not be a problem.. for the VALUE SELECT, it has to run 8-3-3-2.5, anything tighter it wont even boot or POST.. the HYPER X is at 6-3-3-2.. i even tried running at loose timings like 11-4-4-3. still reboots..

And can you 100% be sure its PSU? I dont want to fork out unnecessary $$ that isnt guaranteed to solve this problem.. its also very hard to find someone to lend me one..

Silly question but have you tried default/safe/auto bios settings?

Also, just to clarify, does the old corsair (used to work) still work in dual channel?

of course i did.. but it doesnt make a difference..

right now trying to find out why i cant run DUAL CHANNEL @ 200FSB

Yeah I figured

Now that I look at this more, this could be a CPU overclocking question (I'm better with newbies). I'm out of my depth. Sorry.

Back