• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dual chan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ryuen

i know its probably answered somewhere in this forum but i dont know what to look for :)

just wondering if dual channel is worth spending that extra money instead of 1 stick of 512mb for a nforce2 igp board?

the major things i want is better video and possibly better oc

well having 1gb of memory will defintely increase the performace of your system, and it will help your oc. It's hard to tell without your rig's specs. Normally Dual Channel gives more of a boost in pentium systems than in does in AMD system (non-64)

well im using onboard video :). and its just 2x256mb.

2500 xp mob barton

making a value system

In my experience, running 2*128 PC2100 wasn't really much slower than 1*512 PC2700 until I started opening programs or gaming. I think the performance might not be "noticable," but it will give you better performance on benchmarks and things that consume a large number of cycles over an extended period of time, like video encoding (which, of course, is always bottlenecked by the hard drive in a modern system). I don't know how much it will speed that up, though.

Z

Hey, if you buy that 512mb stick, you can still run dual channel with the ram you currently have, so I would go for it if it doesn't cost too much.

Back