• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WCing a SFF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twill

Registered
Mornin all!

I'm considering WCing my SFF shuttle and need some advice on radiator
choices.

There isn't much space in there and I would like to keep as much internal as possible (i am willing to saccrifice some perfomance for this)

The limit on the rad is that it fits an 80mm fan (max 92) because of the mounting holes. I am going to be WCing an AMD 2500+, NB (running dual monitors off built in video) until I get a better vid card then will passive the nb and wc the vid card.

I am also considering wcing the PSU with a custom mod. I will be doing this probably with a closed loop system running 2 c-system pumps.

Now here's the question, what rad will a) fit and b) cool properly. Oh and here's the other fun part, I will probasbly be using quiet (aka low flow) fans for this :)

How stupid am I to think I can do this and let me know what thoughts you have on it.

Thanks guys,
night night

Twill

Already been done. many people already watercooled there SFF case. Mashie's new Doom3 mod is a recent watercooled SSF. Hes using a DD TDX on the A64 and the DD 6800 waterblock on his 6800 GT, and hes using 1/2" tubing....

A. A Black Ice Micro will fit
B. the BIM will be enough to cool a cpu, but not sure if it could cool both a vid card and a cpu. Mashies using a BIM to cool the A64 and 6800 GT, so it might.

If your going to cool both CPU and GPU, with a quiet fan, i dont think its going to be enough. If i were to watercool a SFF i would probably use a Black Ice Xtreme and strap it to the backside.

Yes been done several times, check out sudhian forums, they have alot off SFFers there. Have you thought about a blower or maybe a 80mm->92/120 adapter?

There was a thread about core dimensions a while ago, do you think any of those would fit?

Thanks guys,

Liquid_Cooled: With a black ice xtreme, would a quiet fan suffice? I was considering an 80mm inside pushing out and a 92mm adapted on the outside pulling out, it's a lot of airflow for very little noise.

ls7corvete: I came over from SFFtech/Sudhain, been floating there for a while, just wanted to get some input from those here who are more focused on WCing and not just others like me who go "ooooh it's small...LETS CUT IT!"

So the BIM Is probably my best bet? any other suggestions for rads that would work with low CFM fans?

Thanks a bunch guys

Twill

What are your dimensions... I really hate to see you go for a BIM as they are just about the worst cooling element solution in watercooling. Perhaps you could squeeze a single 120 HC in there?

Perhaps not... but make sure heh.

I dont know the exact dimensions, but it's the ICE cooler for the SN41G2V2 which can be found at www.shuttle.com

Just as a guess, with a standard 80mm fan hooked to it it is about 1-1.5 inches deep and the standard 80mm hookup. I could probably get up to 3 inches deep if I got creative, (ohhh the sexual connotations) but I dont know if that would change much.

I know that it's small, and I really was hoping to get something that would cool well and keep it internal, however, it is physically possible to fit up to a 120 mm fan on the back...possible but very very ugly (and kind of defeats the purpose of having a SFF comp)

If the BIM is the only way to go then I will, but would love some alternative options.

Thanks guys.

Twill

I dont know about your specific SFF case but a chevette single 120mm heatercore is 6' x about 7" if you INCLUDE the tanks. From the cases I've seen online this seems like a reasonable interior fit for one of the side walls of that case. Rig pics would be a of great value if you have them, for its really impossible to give suggestions unless we can see the space, but logically, you could definately fit an 86 Chevette core in there with a single 120 and shroud for perhaps a tiny bit more than 3 inches of depth. Then youd have all-internal cooling with just about the best single 120 cooling solution availible.

Post some pics and lets get into this.

I'll have to pull up some pics, I dont have any of my comp but I'll find some of the same case.

MY concern for the chevette core is that is it not wider than the 80mm fan mounts...there isnt more than 80-85mm on the inside. 120 would fit outside but only just and with great difficulty.

I'll track down some pics

Twill

magik_man, I've seen those but decided against that because it would just about double the length of my computer :)

ls7corvete, I'm new to WCing, what do the in and out columns mean. Other than that, that's inceadably helpful, thanks. Now I just need to figure the dimensions out :)

Twill

EDIT> Just looked at the HC file, dont think any of those will fit, The space in my case is literally 3.5inched cubed MAX it's quite small :)

EDIT2> I couldnt fit much more than a 120mm on the outside as well, this should give you an idea as to why:
http://forums.sudhian.com/messageview.aspx?catid=46&threadid=64673&highlight_key=y&keyword1=120mm

:)

Last edited:
Yeah, so losing the optical drive isnt really an option. I saw that articel and decided a kit wasnt for me.

I have custom built a drive cage that will hold the optical drive, a suspended HDD and 2 c-system pumps without getting in the way of the agp or pci slot.

Component choice isnt that hard, except for the rad which will probably be the limiting factor of this system, which is why I am trying so hard to find a good option.

I wish there was a simple SFF WC kit...maybe I'll make one whenI finish :)

Twill

Well, Twill, you arent restricted to the mounts on the exterior. If Interior component clearance permits, you can modify that hole to 120 from 80 quite easily. A dremel is the preferred method in this area, and these sorts of mods can be done without the expected "hacked to pieces" image. If you draw pilot pencil lines and take your time you can create a very good looking 120mm fan mount and personally, the standard fan guards are more attractive than the pre-cut case vents, not to mention being a night and day solution as far as airflow. Then again, for something like the SFF, you could even stretch a custom length of mesh (make sure it is more than 70% airspace over a given plane of it) over the cut 120mm hole and get an even more aesthetically pleasing effect. (IMO)

Anyway, check it out, get a measuring tape and check your dimensions. I imagine with a week or two of ocforum knowledge assimilation, some care and a dremel (recently on sale at Home Depot for 30 USD [Cheap as hell!!!] ), things can be very, very groovy for your little watercooled demon.

:cool:

I have a single Black Ice Xtreme cooling a 2.4c @ 3.3, a 6800GT at 400/1100 and a 875p chipset. my cpu is around 42/52. 6800gt is around 54/62. considering that im using only 1 BIX, my temps are that bad.

I wish is was just a phobia of hack 'n slash. I LOVE dremmels they rule the world (after duct tape of course). Unfortunately I dont think the space physically exists internally for a 120mm fan, they do in the new cases, no in the old :(

I will however look into the dimensions, once I get home tonight I'll make some measurements. If I can indeed fit the 120 in there iw would definately be one hell of a great mod. even a 92mm would make life easier. We will see.

Twill

Well, its pretty unorthodox, but you could even get a high CFM (and most probably mid-range noise) 92mm on a REALLY good shroud and be able to cool that chevette. Conversely, the chevette is just one popular single HC among many. I feel sort of bad sending people his way, but Weapon is definately the Cathar for HC wisdom. He may be able to recommend something with smaller tanks or even less fin surface to acommodate your situation. Whatever you research and decide on, remember, air is for dolts and lan party fratboys. :p

Good luck,
Jack :cool:

I think a shrouded 120mm heatercore would look pretty cool mounted to the top of the box.

Hell, now that you got me thinking I kinda want a SFF and use an acrylic case so I can see the watercooling. That'd be pretty cool. I've got an old Duron sitting around somewhere and a GF2MX. If only I had an extra monitor or a selector box...

Back