• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ALWAYS remember to turn the pump on.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magick_man

Forum Magician
well all day i have noticed that my computer is going kinda slow (taking 6+ hours to do a unit on seti@home) so i just decided to turn on mbm5 to check my temps then while it was loading this alarm started going off.
it said that the processor was running at 88°c (apparently it has been like this almost all day!!!!!) i was like WTF how is this possible, then i opened speedfan and it was telling me the same thing.
so i reached over and grabbed the remote for my pump relay and clicked the on button and it clicked on and started humming away.
so i was scared for my computer so i turned it off and let the pump run for a while and it seems to be ok.
at what temps do p4's start to get damaged?
the moral of this story is dont be stupid and forget to turn on your pump like i did. thank god for thermal throttleing, i think it saved my proc

Yea I hit 90c with my 2700 athlon and was still getting into windows stable. I was sure that the speedfan was wrong....

Hehe

If it did indeed hit 88C, then the processor will be damaged. The extent of the damage might be so small that you won't notice it or it could not. If you have a relay, why wouldn't you link it with the PSU instead of having a remote?

Yet another reason why I chose to get a 12V pump with a molex
i would like to but i am a broke a** and couldnt afford one it i wanted to.
although i might get a csp 750 when d-tek finally has them in stock.

i am not sure if it was truly 88, i think my mobo reads temps funny. if it is below zero c then it reads 44 constantly so it might be the same sort of thing with high temps.

why dont you just leave the pump on 24/7? is it that loud? my pump is just plugged into the same power strip as my computer. i am almost certain p4s have thermal throttling, so if it had gotten too hot, it would have shut down.

well the pump is loud (some random utility pump) and i thought it was on, i guess something pushed the button on the remote and switched it off.
and yeah i think it throttled it down like hell because it took almost 7 hrs to do a single unit on seti.
i thought i had thermal protection enabled in bios but i guess not :) :(

yeah i just remembered something, i just flashed my bios a few days ago and i didnt set the thermal protection :eek:
so i set it for 70 (the lowest setting)
what i wonder is did i possibly damage the plexi top for my maze-4
haveing it sit there for multiple hours baking at around 200°F
i am worried about that. i hope it is ok :confused:

I normally have my computers on 24/7 folding and the pump plugs into the same UPS as the computer (something to think about if you use a UPS and an AC pump). If I turn the computer AND pump off, I disconnect the power cord from the computer and lay the pump power cord across my chair. I rarely turn mine off so it's easier than wiring a relay.

I'd definitely pull the waterblock and check it carefully if it (or any others in the system) had a poly top.

sadly 4 weeks ago something similar happened to myself.

My athlon 2000+ (palomino core) burned up.

The last temperature that I saw in the MBM tray...

900 C

then black screen.

then sizzle, sizzle, crack, pop, smoke...

then nothing.

no, i lost everything. PSU, motherboard, CPU was unrecognizeable, vid card, sound card, NIC, and the case warped.

ever see that video where they ripped the HSF off while playing Quake 3?

Sorry, but that just isn't possible. I don't mean to call you out for lieing, but a CPU overheating cannot take the vidcard, NIC, sound card, and PSU with it... If it was completely kamikaze, it could be possible by some stretch of the imagination for it to take the mobo socket down with it... But thats as far as reality might stretch. The case warping is probably the most over the top.

Unless you mean you had a house fire, and you noticed the mbm5 reading right before you jumped out the window. :rolleyes: ;)

IIRC I read that AMD says it's cpu's have a thermal tolerance of up to 90-100C before they will die. I've accidentally left my pump off one time before but the software monitor only showed 50-60C.

Back