• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

abit bh7 issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mckennaiii

this machine has really slowed down.
i will list the specs here.
phy. mem. 523760
available 176552
sys. cache 275656
processes 59
cpu usage 100 %
pf usage 329mb

usually the cpu usage is less than 5 %

some program must be running that is killing the performance.
i'm able to defrag but can't do disk clean up. when i try to do disk clean up it just sits there.

Did you do a virus scan?
Did you run Adaware, Spybot S&D, CWShredder?
What OS are you running? Did you look in task manager/Processes?
If you're running Win9x you can use Wintop to show the processes running.

i have not done a virus scan.
i have not done this - Adaware, Spybot S&D, CWShredder.
running win xp.
cleanmgr.exe was running and when i clicked on [end process] the cpu usage went back to 4 %.

under the processes tab you can see what process is using CPU time and how much it is using.

Do you mean that it is at 100% always? or do you mean it just feels slow?

it usually runs at 4-5% cpu usage.
when i try to use the disc clean up program that's when it hangs and the cpu usage goes to 100 %.
since i did the end task on cleanmgr.exe it's back to running just fine at 4 % cpu usage.

Cleanmgr.exe is a hoax, do a search for cleanmgr.exe on your PC and delete it, then empty your recycle bin.

BTW: A good site that has a list of common processes with an explanation (except virii, trojans and such) is Answers That Work.

i found the the cleanmgr.exe file and ran spybot and cleaned up all that mess.
just noticed that the [recycle bin] icon is not on the desktop.
how can i get that back on the desktop or get to it so i can dump all that stuff?

Do you happen to run sphere?
Anyway the recycle bin will most likely still show up on your C: drive (root), make a new shortcut and place it on your desktop (Right click on recycle bin --> create shortcut, right click on the shortcut --> click cut --> on your desktop right click --> paste).

**EDIT** I'm not too sure about XP, but on W2K there's a folder called 'recycler' which contains the recycle bin.

I could be wrong, just give it a try, it won't do any harm.

59 processes sounds way too high. I normally have around 20 running. That includes AV and various other programs. A screenshot of your processes would maybe help a bit.

couldn't find the recycle bin in the root dir. under c:
tell me how to do a screen shot and i'll copy and paste it so you can see it.

I don't have XP installed ATM, so I can't help you with that right now.

To make a screenshot: Open the task manager click the 'processes' tab, make sure the window is active (The blue bar at the top should be blue and not grayed out), hold the alt key and hit the 'print screen' button (It may say 'prt scr' orso) which is most likely next to the F12 button, now open paint or something similar like PSP, photoshop... click edit--> paste, then save it as .jpg (run optimizer if available...usually under options after you click 'file'-->save as).

Holding the 'alt' key will only take a screenshot of the active window, w/o holding it you'll get a screenshot of your entire desktop.

You have the same thread posted in other sections. Your OS is hosed for whatever reason. Reformat the HDD and reinstall Windows.

i did the screen shot and save it as jpg file. how do i get it pasted on here so you can view it?

batboy said:
You have the same thread posted in other sections.
I didn't notice that, mckennaiii that's called cross posting which, on most forums, usually will result in deletion of threads, merging to a single thread and/or a warning.
Try to keep that in mind, be patient sometimes it takes a while before people reply, if they don't reply within 24 hours reply to your own thread with a simple 'bump', if that still doesn't work you can think about posting it in a different section and refer to your previous thread in a different section.
batboy said:
Your OS is hosed for whatever reason. Reformat the HDD and reinstall Windows.
That's not the solution i'd expect from you, anyway have a look here.
That may also explain why you couldn't find it (I always uncheck 'hide protected operating system files') although it seems to be in a different location.

mckennaiii said:
i did the screen shot and save it as jpg file. how do i get it pasted on here so you can view it?
When you reply scroll down a bit to the 'Additional Options', the second box says "Attach files' hit the button and browse for the file.

I was referring to the slow running and the fact that 4 to 5% CPU usage and 50 processes running. All these signs point to spyware/malware/adware/virus (probably associated with file sharing crap). While it's possible to eventually clean all this up, the fact that the registry might be trashed too and all the time involved to get everything fixed, it might be easier and faster and better just to reformat and start fresh. The missing recycle bin icon is the least of his worries.

mckennaiii said:
thankx for the heads up on the cross posting.
You're welcome.

batboy said:
I was referring to the slow running and the fact that 4 to 5% CPU usage and 50 processes running. All these signs point to spyware/malware/adware/virus (probably associated with file sharing crap). While it's possible to eventually clean all this up, the fact that the registry might be trashed too and all the time involved to get everything fixed, it might be easier and faster and better just to reformat and start fresh. The missing recycle bin icon is the least of his worries.
I get your point and I partially agree, but I for one rather spend some time to clean it up, and maybe learn a thing or 2, than to reinstall the OS whenever I have a problem.

Sure you may screw up cleaning the registry, but before you start screwing with the registry you should make a back up (Unless you know what you're doing), always restart after making a single change in the registry (Make notes so you know what not to mess with the next time, however it all boils down to common sense).

This way mckennaiii may learn something, when you learn something the hard way it'll usually stick longer, and hopefully mckennaiii has learned to check the processes running more often....and to do some virus scans every once in a while, run Adaware, Spybot S&D and CWShredder on a regular bases (I also like to do a scan at Pestpatrol once in a while as it sometimes finds stuff other programms don't, same goes for virus scanner, I tend to use 2 or 3 online scanners like Housecall (Trend Micro), RAV and McAfee (They no longer seem to do online scans, but I believe PCPitstop.com still uses McAfee, at least they used to), just use different scanners as they may pick up some virus that other scanners don't (yet).

BTW: mckennaiii could you make the window a bit larger so all processes are shown (If you can't due to a resolution limit take 2 (or even 3 :eek: ) screenshots...we already have one part, so no need to show these processes again).

Back