• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heatercore laying on the botttom of the case, anyone else doing it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

robertway

Registered
I'm about to finally convert my air rig over to water, not so much to OC more but just to quiet things down, it has the hair dryer syndrome right now. Not wanting to cut too much into the case I was planning on just putting a blowhole in the bottom of the case and mounting the heatercore (a Dtek pro) to the bottom lying flat with the barbs sticking straight up. My other choice is to mount it vertical like normal but I would lose the bottom drive cages in my Chieftec Dragon Tower case which I'd rather not do.

Anyone else lying the core on the bottom, and do you blow air out of the case pulling it through the core like an exhaust using case fans as intakes or suck air in blowing it through the core and using case fans to exhaust the case.

Any pros/cons would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance,

Robert

people have done this, but if you do, you HAVE to elevate your case somehow. you need to get airflow under your case, and dont want the fan to be struggling to get air

Many people who would entertain the idea of rigging the HC thus have mobo issues. Also the preferred airflow direction for this setup is in through the bottom and exhausting with side or top blowhole fans. This setup had the added drawback however of increased dust, and people who do this generally use filters. Otherwise its a perfectly good way to mount a HC, provided you get a good 2-3 inches off the floor and remember to put a shroud between the HC and floor of the case. (Only applicable if you are cutting fan holes in the bottom... but i would recommend two fans pulling and cutting the bottom of the case to match your HC's dimensions and using some sort of mesh if you need a buffer.)

good luck
:cool:

Thought about this for my V-Series Lian Li - the lower portion of the case is free (the mobo is on top). But dust is really an issue, as the PC would actually become a vacuum cleaner.

Thanks folks, the point about the case becoming a vacuum didn't cross my mind so if I decide to go this route I'll probably use the core fan as the exhaust and the case as intakes. I know this draws a bit warmer air through the core but my main water rig does the same with not much of a hit in performance, maybe a 2-3C difference and I'm not OC'ing to the point where 2-3C makes or breaks things, I just want a quiet system.

Thanks for the feedback, any pics would help if you had any.

Robert

Back