PDA

View Full Version : 6800GT Underclocking help ... (perverse I know)

Thingi
09-20-04, 11:39 AM
Does anybody know if it's possible to underclock an XFX 6800GT in 2D mode and completely turn off the fan? I can sucessfully underclock properly... which is good considering my old GF4ti used to crash when underclocked but was fine when at normal speed or o/c'ed :confused:

My shuttle is currently running a super quiet Zalman 60mm at around 900rpm which is fine for my XP-M even at 2Ghz :)

I'm quite happy to underclock to stupidly low speeds because it's makes no difference when watching tv on my DVB-T card. I just need some silence back in my life!

thingi

hypertek
09-20-04, 12:06 PM
there is a gainwood program that lets you control your fan speed..

A1Killer
09-20-04, 12:44 PM
i got a question why would you buy a brand spanking new card then underclock it just to make it quiter? why not just put on a dual heatpipe silincer on it

Hypnos
09-20-04, 12:47 PM
i got a question why would you buy a brand spanking new card then underclock it just to make it quiter? why not just put on a dual heatpipe silincer on it

First thing I thought when I read this. If you want silence, try water, my case is almost noiseless, so close to my goal. Good luck with yours :)

Thingi
09-20-04, 01:08 PM

I only want to underclock in 2D mode, not 3D, I can handle the fan when playing Doom 3 through my Sony 5.1 amp far, far too loudly for the neighbours to be happy about at 2.00am ;)

There's a good reason why I cant put a "dual heatpipe silencer" on my card...... have you seen how much room is left in my Shuttle after a GF6800GT has been put in it......... virtually NONE!!!! I've got about about 3 or 4mm spare between the vid card and the side of the case. It doesn't get much better on the backside of the card either since the DVB-T card is right next to it too....

I like the idea of the Gainward fan controller, but it only works on Gainward cards :( ,now if only there were a free util to do the same thing.......

I am quite happy to consider water calling for the card (had been already), If I could locate a 60mm x 60mm x 20mm radiator then I'd let it hang off the back where the Shuttle fan exaust is, trouble is the only one I've found is in GlobalWin's Silent Stream setup, and I really don't want to splash out on a kit just for the rad.. especially if the performance is't going to cut it (from various reviews it would be a close call).... funnily enough I actually looked at tom's for about the first time in months and there was a "tom's review" of the silent stream with the rad I would like today.

So If anybody has any ideas for watercooling a GF6800GT in a shuttle but have it still intact without any visiable uglyness sticking out of it somewhere I would be very grateful!

thingi

hypertek
09-20-04, 01:55 PM
the gainwood worked on my bfg6800gt.. if you havent, just give it a try. dunno if this makes a difference, but it works on mine and i dont have "fan always on" tab selected in the nvidia options.

Thingi
09-20-04, 02:47 PM
the gainwood worked on my bfg6800gt.. if you havent, just give it a try. dunno if this makes a difference, but it works on mine and i dont have "fan always on" tab selected in the nvidia options.

Man you are a dude! Problem solved :)

Downloaded the util, tied to install and got afew file errors, then manually just loaded the tray app and voila! up it came, now the fan is nice a quiet, it aint silent but it's miles better than before

ta

thingi