• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A64 - 3500EB instead of 3700EB.. help asap!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SunTzu69

I need a bit of help.

My order for 3700EB has just been cancelled... no more stock coming in.. discontinued.

Should I get 3500EB instead ? Will my overclock suffer ?

I have: 3200+ mobile A64 (2.0Ghz) that I am hoping to run at 2.6Ghz+. I am concerned that I will have to use a divider with the 3500 as it will not go high enough to support a 1:1 ratio and max the cpu.

Any comments... (Gautam, help ! I know you know this... )

Why would they discontinue such great ram?

SunTzu69, from my understanding, the 3500's and the 3700's use the same chips, just diiferent clocks and different timings... If I were you, I would either picj the 3500eb's or get teh latest 3200 from OCZ... not sure what they are called, but anandtech did a review on them, I think that they are rev3 Gold? Those things are supposed to be monstrous overclockers.

3500EB is definitely good stuff. It uses the same IC's as 3700EB, so the overclocks should be about even. Also, the divider doesn't matter with the A64, because it's always using one. At stock its CPU/10, but you might do better at CPU/11. Just think of dividers as multipliers in reverse for the A64, because that's really what they are. You could probably hit 260 without a voltage bump, but it might end up being better to run at 230-240 at tighter timings. Either way, the memory should handle it.

Samsung TCCD-based memory is also great stuff. Corsair's 3200XL, Kingston HyperX and PQI Turbo (don't know if its available in Canada) use it, in case you need a third option.

Bigtoe aka OCZTony prefers the 3500EB over the 3700EB says they are able to run tighter timings better with the cost of a few mhz, but the OC is generally the same.

I just got my 1GB kit of OCZ EB PC3500 in the mail today. I actually selected the PC3500 over the PC3700 because I had read a few different places exactly what Catalan said. So save a few bucks and possibly get better performance.

Something I was wondering, when raising the volts with EB, say 3.0-3.2, does it require active cooling? I'm looking to buy a Gb of 3500EB, but I'm too lazy to do any mods :x.

Catalan said:
Something I was wondering, when raising the volts with EB, say 3.0-3.2, does it require active cooling? I'm looking to buy a Gb of 3500EB, but I'm too lazy to do any mods :x.

yes, i would suggest active cooling for EB at 3.0vdimm and up. and if you wish, its not gonna hurt to use active cooling w/ less Vdimm than 3.0. EB tend to run very hot, and people usually see a pretty decent OC increase when going from passive, to active cooling, at any voltage...

-Jess-

So is this BH-5 all over again?
Yeah, some people are saying that. mT -5BC doesn't seem to act like BH-5 though; BH-5 tended to be good no matter what PCB you slapped it on, while mT -5BC does really well on OCZ's modules and is not so hot on most others.

how would you mount active cooling onto the ram modules? does anyone have some pics?
ThermalTake made some active ram coolers a while ago, but I don't think they were that popular. When people talk about active cooling on RAM they generally mean mounting a fan to blow over the modules. Nothing real elaborate, just airflow.

Many thanks guys,

Sorry for the panic, but 3700EB is not available or extremely rare at the least. I found 2 sets of 1GB 3700EB just yesterday (I'll believe it when i see it). They are on the way. I think I got lucky...

Thanks for responding so quickly. So dividers don't matter at all ? There is alot of fuss over running 1:1 in the xtremesystems forums on that DFI motherboard thread. Maybe it's just some benchmarking pride, rather than functionality issues... If Gautam says it, I believe it.. and I had seen you post that elsewhere before I started this thread.

A bit off-topic - If I'm going to slap a 120mm fan over my 3700EB and plan to run around 3.2 Vdimm, does it need to be a high performing fan. I'm thinking of puting the quiet Coolermaster fan I got stock with my CM Stacker. It is a "low" fan as opposed to a "high" fan. Will it suffice ?

Thanks again,

ps - my new A64 rig with 3200+ mobile and DFI board should be up and running in 2-3 weeks. I'll post results... hoping to hit 2.6Ghz on this CH. Watercooled dual heatercore.

got my eb from canada computers. it's pretty sick but my mobo is holding me back. i bought keeping upgrading to a64 in mind. at 2.5-2-2-11 200fsb it gets almost identical effiency to my old bh5 at 2-2-2-11 in sandra mem bench. 97-91 vs 96-91 i believe.

this is a hidden site. it was accidently put up back in august. they keep stock numbers up to date on it. i think it will eventually replace their current site.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/cc/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=detail&pid=004822&cid=RAM.958

says they have online stock. you could try.

SunTzu69 said:
A bit off-topic - If I'm going to slap a 120mm fan over my 3700EB and plan to run around 3.2 Vdimm, does it need to be a high performing fan. I'm thinking of puting the quiet Coolermaster fan I got stock with my CM Stacker. It is a "low" fan as opposed to a "high" fan. Will it suffice ?

I got a 120mm fan blowin on mine, it's Thermaltake Thunderblade, and I don't quite remember how much air its pushing... around the 70's (CFM), so it pushes some massive air. I think that a "low" fan is better than none, but I would reccomend more CFM.

Yep, I'd agree with that. I have a TMD fan on my EB, because it is freaking hot at 3V. I haven't gained fsb from it because my board is maxed out from the chips and gig setup, but I felt a lot better about running 3V through them after that.

Back