• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

G4 storm vs. a G5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lilneel12

How much difference will there really be b/w the g4 and g5. at the website it says about .8c. Is that worth an extra 80$ for it?

thanks

This is similar to the TDX vs G4 thread. And again... it all depends on how crazy you really are. Well, are ya, ... punk? :beer:

But seriously... if you have a whole lot of cash and want the best of the best and are assembling the watercooling rig to beat all watercooling rigs, this is a must have. If you's be po' like me, then you might want to SETTLE for the G4.... :bang head.

If you dont already have a swifty or a WW, it may be good just to get one of those and experience the elite but not quite godlike echelon of blocks for tiny tiny bit of money.

/me wills a Storm G5 into his hands

The thermal properties of copper and silver are very similar, so there won't be too much of a difference, I'd use the extra 80 bucks on a 120.3 radiator, that will improve your temps by much more than a silver waterblock.

The internal design for G5 is different as well. The 0.8C is a simulated number from what I can gather. Cathar said he would make the G4 first before doing the actual G5 prototype in the storm thread at Overclockers AU.

Mr Snub said:
The thermal properties of copper and silver are very similar, so there won't be too much of a difference, I'd use the extra 80 bucks on a 120.3 radiator, that will improve your temps by much more than a silver waterblock.

wtf?

no.

heatercore (2-302 or 2-342) will cool better than a 120.3 and be way cheaper

Here is my 2C on this. It is nice to say that you have the best around but remember this. Does it really make a difference if you don't mount your block perfectly or when dust starts collecting on your rad?

greenman100 said:
wtf?

no.

heatercore (2-302 or 2-342) will cool better than a 120.3 and be way cheaper
Not so sure i agree with that... although, no one has any hard data so really it is a guess. There is data for the 120.3, but not the others.

nikhsub1 said:
Not so sure i agree with that... although, no one has any hard data so really it is a guess. There is data for the 120.3, but not the others.

I agree with nikhsub1, never seen proof but the 120.3 has a tad bit more surface area and is thinner. With the same amount of fans (well 3 or more anyways) it would probably perform better.

I do remember someone did a semi-scientific test of flow between a 120.3 and a caprice IIRC and they were pretttty close.
But I never saw direct temp comparisons though.

I make no claims as to what a small difference is worth to anyone. When I made those first 4 Cascade SS's on request I actually had a minor avalanche in requests for silver blocks which I handled over two organised pre-paid batches since I wasn't willing to order that much silver based on trust.

It's not for me or anyone else to judge people's choices, or to attempt to assess the worth of minor gains for them.

The point being that people do want silver blocks. From my understanding of the reasons why, it's because people want something different to the norm, and if it's a semi-precious object in their computer and a high level of performance when coupled with the design is just the icing on the cake for whatever satisfaction they draw from it.

I personally think that a lot of it is based on some deep part of primitive human nature. Attempting to rationalise it will likely lead to frustration. People can and will do what they want, and will do what gives them a sense of satisfaction, sometimes with little thought for the impracticality of it.

That's my semi-rational philosphical thought for the day.

jackrungh said:
This is similar to the TDX vs G4 thread. And again... it all depends on how crazy you really are. Well, are ya, ... punk? :beer:

But seriously... if you have a whole lot of cash and want the best of the best and are assembling the watercooling rig to beat all watercooling rigs, this is a must have. If you's be po' like me, then you might want to SETTLE for the G4.... :bang head.

If you dont already have a swifty or a WW, it may be good just to get one of those and experience the elite but not quite godlike echelon of blocks for tiny tiny bit of money.

/me wills a Storm G5 into his hands

uhhh please speak English for the non-ghetto here. Thanks.

Back