• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

When to mount block?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JPetrillo

So you're supposed to hook everything up and then after you test it for leeks and bleed it is when you mount the block to the motherboard, while the motherboard is in the case?

I'm so used to mounting the HSF and everything else before I put the motherboard in the case.

Actually you'll have to mount most waterblocks with the mobo out of the case. Then put everything in the case. For a leak test, just don't plug any power supply connector (and NOT the mobo one), just turn on the pump (if it's a 12V one you'll have to do the wire trick) - then wait for 24h to see if any drop of water appears.

Generally I will just mount a mobo in the case, then screw the block onto the empty socket to get the hose lengths proper. Then fill it, and leak test. One that is done, simply take the block off, stick a processor in there, and everything else. That's just my way though.

Well yeah. I got that swiftech one where you dont need to mounting holes, so I wouldnt need to mount it before I put the motherboard in the case.

Annoyingrob, I was pretty much planning on doing it almost exactly how you described, only with a dead motherboard that will still power up but is useless so it wouldnt matter if water got on it ;)

Dead mobo is good. I wouldn't suggest leak testing around working eq, that would defeat the point if it decides to leak......

I always leave everything on the counter or table and wrap all my connections w/ paper towels. This way if there are any itty bitty leaks you can't see, additives in the water will stain the towel and become visible.

i'm always confident of my systems, so i attach everything they leak test/bleed overnight. white paper towels are a great idea because it makes it easy to see the leak (assuming you have colored water). if you spill water on an electrical component (done it plenty of times) just let it dry overnight, prefably with a fan on it. should be fine by morning. my point being it's not a huge risk leak testing with blocks attached to your components because even if they drip on your mobo/vid card it's not a huge risk (as long as you know it happened)

Construction paper is also good for spotting leaks, particularly if you're not using any additives. With no colors to spot: paper towels usually just wrinkle, where as the color of construction paper fades when wet then dried.

K thanks everyone. I got a pretty good idea of how I'm going to do this now! ;)

And you still use artic silver 5 on the CPU die before you mount the block, just as you would with a HSF, right?

Construction paper is also good for spotting leaks, particularly if you're not using any additives. With no colors to spot: paper towels usually just wrinkle, where as the color of construction paper fades when wet then dried

newspaper works great for this reason as well

i cant believe all u guys leak test with all the stuff in ur case i always though ate least 24 hrs out of case but i guess if none of u are having problems its ok

Okay then, I think I'm ready to do this!

My block and res should both be here on Friday, hopefully by the end of the weekend I'll be up and running!!! :D:D:D

I say if it's not going to leak in an hour, it's not going to leak at all. I ran it for about an hour and a half with my system off and there was a tiny leak on the pump outlet (I have a brass fitting on my Mag 3 until my nylon fittings arrive), so nothing was getting wet (it was about 1 drop every 5 minutes anyway). It's actually gotten better. Now it's about 1 drop every 10 minutes. But I curse FedEx anyway for delaying my order from FrozenCPU. Since when does Rochester to Kingston (less than an hour south of Albany), involve Pennsylvania and New Jersey? And why is it sitting in Newburgh now? It's an hour from my house and it's been sitting there since 3 AM. Bastards.

Back