• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which drive bays do I need?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sean Lindstrom

I am building a case, and now must set in some front access drive bays (HDs elsewhere). I want to keep it minimal, but also future-proof. Are the 3.5" floppy sized bays due for obsolescence, or will some new technology fill them up? 2, 1, or 0? What about the 5.25" floppy (CD) sized bays? Are two enough to scrape by over the next decade?

i would get as many 5.25" as possible, and maybe 1 or 2 3.5", and no harddrive cages unless they can be pull out. reason is you can put almost anything in the 5.25 with adaptors, but u can't fit a 5.25 into a 3.5. 3.5 are pretty useless now, most of the stuff now is bootable from a cdrom, no one ever use floopy any more, but they are good for fan control and memory card readers :). i currently have both my HDD on the 5.25 for easier cabling and simply easier access.

Floppy is still the fastest & easiest way to flash BIOS. :p
Have a FDD in my OCing case but leave the cable out
except when needed. Only takes 15 sec. to hook up.

But yeah, I would get at least four 5.25 bays. The 3.5 are
up to you.

Susquehannock said:
Have a FDD in my OCing case but leave the cable out except when needed.

Well, the interior is spacious enough, so now I'm thinking to just keep one floppy stowed away inside for rare (case open) use. And have only the larger bays up front. Four or five of them.

I'll use an adaptor if I really need a small device in the large bay.

Thanks, both, for the advice.

Back