• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone able to acheive 300+ fsb on their P4C800/E/Deluxe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SPQQKY

I have one sitting here in my closet unopened and I torn between even openeing the box or just sending it on it's merry way. My IS7 is capable of running 300+ FSB, even with a RAID 0 array. I would love to hit the same fsb on the Asus, especially since that will boost my performance with PAT, but if it isn't likely, I don't wanna even bother. Anyway, if you've hit 300+ fsb on your P4C800, post here and what did you do to acheive it? vDIMM and vdroop mods? Vmod the NB? Cascade or Prommy? All this will help my decision as I am strictly air cooled. Thanks.

TIO has 325 on the 5/4 divider but it was moded, droop mod and vdimm with 3500 BH-5.

-The CPU cooling was done with the Prom Mach1.
-The 72 lock was used in order to break 300.

The fake Rev2 the mofets blew off so he switched to the earlier version to my understanding.

The improved Rev2 rumor has it that it doesn't droop as bad but overclocking stinks. I think it was 0.05 on load drop.

I've run 307 on a totally unmodded P4C800-D (Rev. 2.0!), but it's not as easy as with an Abit board (IS7, IC7, take your pick). This was on mild water (HC200).

And anybody who knows me knows I don't claim any clock unless it can pass this:

Sandra Arith
Sandra Multi
PCMark2002
PCMark2004
Aquamark
3DMark2001
3DMark2003
SuperPI 16M

Then Codecreatures, SS2nd Encounter demo, IL-2 demo for 30', etc.

The first two tests are surprisingly hard to pass >300 fsb, and may fail when the others pass.

Of course, the CPU was a 2.40C. You need VAGP >1.8 or 3D will kick out. I had to use Clocken but only maybe 68/35 fix. The droop will cut you out of benches occasionally but if you rerun them it passes, so you know it's the stupid droop.

The Abit boards simply need 68/35 fix over 302 fsb, which you can conveniently set in the BIOS (listening, Asus???). Doesn't matter the VAGP, and voltages are rock solid.

The key is getting a well-behaved CPU (or phase change - and get an Inventiv product if you want to get decent -C temps).

Clevor said:
I've run 307 on a totally unmodded P4C800-D (Rev. 2.0!), but it's not as easy as with an Abit board (IS7, IC7, take your pick). This was on mild water (HC200)

307 x 16 = 4912mhz?

on mild water?

what the **** is your secret? :drool:

MasterCraft said:
whats the multiplier? still 16? (sorry, still learning)
i forget now, my g/f left my promey running while i was on vacation but shut off the comp so my mb got fried. my mb was a block of ice, i couldnt believe it.

MasterCraft said:
307 x 16 = 4912mhz?

on mild water?

what the **** is your secret? :drool:

A 2.40C of course (unless you mean't this as a joke :) ). Getting a good one is 99% of the work.

Clevor said:
A 2.40C of course (unless you mean't this as a joke :) ). Getting a good one is 99% of the work.

no joke, thats an insane overclock for a 2.4

I'd be happy with a flat 4ghz on my 3.4 prescott, and im going all out on water cooling, what do you think I can max out at, assuming i get good equipment

(ps, theres another thread in asus boards forum that has my setup with an update, check it for sys specs)

MasterCraft said:

I'd be happy with a flat 4ghz on my 3.4 prescott, and im going all out on water cooling, what do you think I can max out at, assuming i get good equipment

(ps, theres another thread in asus boards forum that has my setup with an update, check it for sys specs)
ive found that going below ambient into the sub zero range is a whole different world, with a sp-94 and panaflo fan i got my 2.4 up to 220 fsb.
once i hooked the promey to it i got up to 297
its been that way with every chip really. maybe you need a chiller also?
even to knock the temp down 20C is a huge difference for OCing but it wouldnt be a problem with condensation. an inline pelt might get you that.

rhino56 said:
ive found that going below ambient into the sub zero range is a whole different world, with a sp-94 and panaflo fan i got my 2.4 up to 220 fsb.
its been that way with every chip really. maybe you need a chiller also?
even to knock the temp down 20C is a huge difference for OCing but it wouldnt be a problem with condensation. an inline pelt might get you that.

maybe ill buy a vapochill LS and go for 5ghz

:D

MasterCraft said:

I believe the Prescotts overclock higher, but from a real honest overclock standpoint, not that easy to get even a 3.4 >4 gig on water, much less air. It's the same myth with a 3.0C at 4 gig on air. All the ones I tried wouldn't even do it with water. Not if you go by the definition of stable I gave (pass all those tests).

If you go phase change, get a Prommie. They hit the lowest temps effortlessly. Don't matter they are out of business. While the unit is working, they work well.

Highest I've hit is 250 on a 2.6C, but this is with stock cooling and no vcore ajustment. Just threw on a Volcano7+ and I'm waiting for the AS to cure. Yeah, yeah, I know, not exactly the greatest cooler out there, but I had it kicking around and it's better than the stock one.

Running a 2.4C @ 3.6

300fsb x 12 = 3600

Asus P4C800 deluxe revision 1.02 or 1.2 if i remember right.
vCore set to 1.6 in bios, goes as high as 1.66 on idle and stable at 1.58-1.60 on load.

3:2 divider,
infineon 3200 ram running from 2.5,8,4,4 to 2.5,7,3,3. PAT enabled, performance mode to STANDARD agp/pci lock to 66/33 vdimm 2.85 vagp 1.5.

I desperatelly want to hit 3.7 but sometimes hard drive makes noises and the chip always crashes and most of all windows is SLOOOWWWWWW at above 300fsb...hell if I know why.

On a table instead of a case:

Idle 26
Load 36

In case:

idle 31
load 40

Working on duct mod, to combine the two.

Air cooled with xp-120 thermalright and a thermaltake 120mm fan @ 2000rpm.

Passed all of the above:

Sandra Arith
Sandra Multi
PCMark2002
PCMark2004
Aquamark
3DMark2001
3DMark2003
SuperPI 16M

im convinced if it will run pcmark04 then its stable, my 3200+ would barley run pcmark04 on certain ram timings, but on others it would run fine, i think its a good stability test

austinbmxnig said:
im convinced if it will run pcmark04 then its stable, my 3200+ would barley run pcmark04 on certain ram timings, but on others it would run fine, i think its a good stability test

Yep, sometimes PCMark2004 can be a toughie. You get a lock up on file compression, Zlib compression, audio conversion (some other stuff I forget), or one of the video tests freezes. Not a big deal as often the 3DMarks bench OK. Lots of times with the 3.0Cs, PCMark2002 is the culprit.

I recently plugged in my ole Asus P4T-E RDRAM board, and this has to be one of the best overclocking boards made. I put a 2.0A that is supposed to do 156 fsb or 3.112 gig at 1.55 actual VCORE. It's running that right now at default voltage, or 1.50 actual. I was surprised as it passed every one of the CPU/3D stress tests I threw at it, including PCMark2004. It is also able to run four 256 MB PC1066 sticks at max overclock of 156/4x, Memtest clean and 3D stable. I knew each pair worked, but didn't dream the board would run all four sticks OK. It also boots and exits WinXP faster than my 3.5-3.9 gig DDR boards running 1170 fsb, yadda yadda. All my RDRAM boards do this, don't know why. I'm thinking of retiring them to my internet/e-mail rig.

It's a shame the board maxes out at 156 fsb due to the Intel850 chipset.

I havn't seen anything do 300+ FSB other than the 2.4 P4. The HIGHEST I got my 2.6C was 281FSB which was around 3.66Ghz. I tried to bench it, but it gave me a BSOD as soon as I clicked a benchmark. I can bench @ 3.60 but I have to run it a few times.

Edit* I did 280FSB on a mobo with faulty capacitors. So, I could maybe do 3.66Ghz benching eh, im shooting for 3.7Ghz :).

Last edited:
rhino56 said:

One of the Intel tech's was quoted in Maximum PC unofficially saying that maximum cpu for northwood processors scaled with operating temperatures -eg the colder they get the faster they go. An AMD insider took his fifth and said no comment.

I wouldn't be surprised if anyone hit 300 using 3:2 divider since it only used to test the cpu, finding max FSB.

Back