• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WC Newb/Budget/Quiet

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Catalan

I decided to dive into WC and I'm looking for recommendations for parts. I'd like it to look nice, be quiet, and hardly any modding. I'm putting this in my Chieftec Dragon mid-tower case and have already removed both drive bays. I'm looking to spend about $250 shipped.

Parts looked at:

Swiftech MCW6002-64 $45.00 (anything better?)
Dangerden MAZE4GPU $39.95 (is this necessary?)
2x120mm Sanyo Denki $9.98/6.90

Leaves a lot to be decided still. Btw, I've heard the d4 pumps are quite loud, Cather himself prefers the eheim 1048. Also would a l30 be suffient enough? Still deciding if I want to mod a w/e the best dual 120mm heatercore is or just buy the best dual 120mm radiator. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Er...I want everything inside the case. I don't want to do A LOT of modding, but I'm willing to do some.

Figure out your radiator size and placement first, the rest is easy after that. Your blocks and fans seem like good choices, but the rad is the challenge. The typical place for a rad is the lower front intake. Since you've already removed drive bays, you've got a head start. Take measurements (and post pics) of how much space you have to put a rad (and shroud/fan(s)) then figure what heatercore will fit.

For a pump, if quiet and reliability is really important, Eheim would be a good choice although a 1250 would be a better choice for your blocks. The downside to the 1250 is that it isn't small. It'll fit into a case, but not as easily as a smaller pump.

It can fit a heatercore this big since this is basically the exact case as mine just different front: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=308487

I want to place it in the lower front intake like you mentioned. Also I've narrowed it down to the double heater core on danger dens or the Black Ice II, I would like a 2-342, but I do not have the tools necessary nor the skills to mod it on my own. I plan on having my Sanyo's at 7v and is the TDX better than the 6002-64?

Last edited:
Back