• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good for my P4C800 E dlx or need a better PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blue_dog

Registered
Currently I have the Antec SL400|Asus P4C800 E Deluxe|P4 3.0C|1024MB Corsair XMS 3200C2. I can reach a stable overclock of:

CPUID225FSB.jpg

CPUIDMemory11.jpg

My temps are averaging 32c idle to 47c loaded but can't seem to go any higher.

Is my current PSU limiting from going further or should I just be proud enough?

Thanks

Last edited:
Maybe you should try loosening up your ram timings a bit and disabling PAT if you'd like to push the FSB a bit. That might be the limit of your ram at whatever vdimm your using to gain stability from it. I dont think it's your PSU that's limiting you, You can try setting your divider to 5:4 and keep the tightest ram timings your ram can handle while you crank the CPU/FSB at the same time....Check if your cpu can go for more.

VFlux

Using the 5:4 I can get up to (images below) but running several benchmark applications, AQM3, 3dMark03, Everest Memory test etc. The lower overclock and tighter timings @ 1:1 score slightly better but way better on Memory. Probably just need some good DDR 4000.

35705MHZ.jpg

RAM5-425337.jpg

How much Vdimm and Vagp are you pushing?..........Try 2.85V Vdimm and 1.7V Vagp to keep the tight ram timings at 1:1. You'll probably reach 230FSB with that setup and better overall performance for your rig........ Grab memtest86+ www.memtest.org and check your ram before entering winxp....

Thanks for the response.

I was already running @ 2.85V Vdimm and upped the Vagp to 1.7V. Managed to get a 226 FSB|2.5-3-3-7. Memory checked alright using Memtest.

Is 1.7v safe on the Vcore when the PSU has minor +/- voltage fluctuations?

Example: 11.86v to 12.16v

I'm using the on-board Sound chip so that might be hoggin' some memory usage uh?

Only use 1.7Vcore if temps are good.......My only suggestion now is try to loosen your ram timings to 3-4-4-8 BL8 then PAM Enabled Under Advanced Chipset/PAM to Auto under AI Overclocking.....

Try 1.6Vcore
2.85Vdimm
1.7Vagp

You might hit 250FSB with that setup along with PAT.......

GL
Vflux

Well there's 230 on the FSB with Memory @ 1:1 3-4-4-8:

but isn't 1.7v agp a bit much?

230FSB.jpg

11467.jpg

and @ 5:4:

35705MHZ.jpg

RAM5-425337.jpg

Last edited:
From what i know Vagp handles how tight your ram timings and fsb...this helps your NB to scale higher.....i.e. If you got PAM Enabled and Turbo leaving vagp to default 1.5V will get you errors in memtest or winxp is unstable.

Which bios are you using btw?.....You can try 1016 or 1017. I'm using a beta bios 1018 atm....It's smooth and stable.

Just make sure you have these settings set in bios-AGP/PCI=66/33
-Spread Spectrum Disabled
-ICH Delayed Transaction Disabled
-USB Legacy Support Disabled
-All Parallel/Serial Ports

Keep us posted.........

I'm using the 1016 bios. I thought that only affected the video card voltage? Anyway I can run the FSB @ 220|Memory @ 1:1 2.5-3-3-6|PAM and PAT enabled|all background stuff loaded for normal computing and everything is very stable and max loaded temps never reach over 45c ~ 47c|30c ~ 32c idle.

In Far Cry I noticed a very nice frame rate increase over the stock cpu configuration.

This is the best AquaMark03 score I've done yet: 71237

I'll probably try and get some better overclocking RAM later but for now I'm extremely happy over my previous Intel board.

Blue_dog said:
I'm using the 1016 bios. I thought that only affected the video card voltage?
VAgp is the voltage fed to the agp-port, but on some motherboards (including these) it is also the voltage the chipset runs at. This is why a very sensitive gfx-card might crap out because of this, but most cards handle it fine, theoretically it should help gfx-card ocs too.
Just beware that the northbridge tend to get noticably hotter when fed more voltage (no big surprise).

Egrimm said:
VAgp is the voltage fed to the agp-port, but on some motherboards (including these) it is also the voltage the chipset runs at. This is why a very sensitive gfx-card might crap out because of this, but most cards handle it fine, theoretically it should help gfx-card ocs too.
Just beware that the northbridge tend to get noticably hotter when fed more voltage (no big surprise).

Thanks that clears things up :)

Well I added an Antec Tru Blue 480 PSU and it has helped with being stable. The SL series has shared 12v rails where this one has independent rails so that probably helps for being stable.

Now to get some better RAM.

Back