• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Starting to build a WC peice by peice..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DocGiggs

My only problem, I'm looking for a good/great performance radiator that I can use a 170mm comair rotron fan with. Searching around the pc sites have yeilded nothing fruitful that I want to use with my 2 comair fans.

Here's my basic idea.... I have 2 of these fans which are 6" in diameter basically. I plan on building a shroud "housing" that I will mount one fan blowing IN on the rad and another sucking off the rad like a wind tunnel with the rad in the middle. My concern is finding something of suitable size/performance for this. I basically want a 6"Hx6"Lx(whatever)"W chunk of pure rad goodness with 1/2" barb fittings if I can find it. I don't care how iit looks since it will be in the wind tunnel housing. Any ideas out there as to what I should use?

Also, if anyone has an opinion, I was thinking of leaving a little space between the fans and the rad inside the housing to minimize any dead spots. With it in the housing and good seals I should see any loss of air and it should hopefully be evenally distributed. Also, my fans push something like 230 cfm at 31 dba the way I modded them :) Very, very quite and it's going to be one heck of a wind tunnel!

I would suggest getting a quality heater core like the fedco 2-342 and just modifing the shroud to fit it properly. Its better to get a quality radiator/heatercore and have to modify your shroud, than to buy a POS radiator/heater core just to fit your fans nicely. Am I making sense?

yep, just need to find a heater core I like size/performance wise I guess..... just not finding anything I like so far :(

I used to use a pair of Comair Rotrons on a chevette core- they fit pretty darn well.

As always, the shroud needs to adapt the size of the fans to the radiator but its actually easier to shroud those comairs on a chevette core than it is with 120mm fans.

Back