• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R.I.P P4C800E Deluxe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NovaShine

Well, i finally got my watercooling up and running (in sig) but as i was manhandling that Maze 4 down onto the north bridge, one clip flew off the board and because i only had two clips in place, the other pushed the NB down and i heard a small cackling sound. Quickly took the Maze 4 off the NB and saw the side of the NB was chipped.

Fast forward a bit i finish setting up my rig and i haul it over to my desk (damn this is one heavy mofo, weighs in at least 30kg), plug it in and switch it on. Fans spin up, pump starts moving the water, lights turn on, CPU starts to heat up, but no video output. I reset CMOS, nothing... I just get a blank screen and a lit HDD activity LED, which turns off after about 3 minutes. I put ramsinks on the video card before, so i thought it may be that, quickly take it to my dad's rig, screw it in and fire it up. 15 minutes later, im greeted with a windows xp screen. No problem there. The other possibility is the mobo being screwed because of the chipped NB.

Before i put the Maze 4 in again, i cut the springs so that the pressure is much lighter. That should fix the problem, but i really do wish Asus put a shim around their NBs.

Anyway, i had my com sit for a while without the screen on and hey, im getting great results from my watercooling. 5 degree celcius drop in idle from air cooling.

The DangerDen RBX is actually alot easier to install than alot of other people say it is.
Anyway, that's it from me. I guess ill see if my dad lets me buy a replacement tomorrow. If not :bang head:

I know your pain dood
I had the same problem with the maze 4 chipset cooler and my p4c800 deluxe
on seperate occasions I cracked 2 of the corener mounts off (crazy glueing them back works!!!) and the lst time I used that block was before it ripped out the clip from the board, land landed on my VC shorting all... $&@#* and also fried my NB cause the block sat up on an angle not contacting it.

that P.O.S just isnt meant for use on an ASUS board

I wrote a complaint to DD trying to get a disscount on a 6800 cooler
and the best he said he could do was 25$ off ....(im in canada so that like nothing) and an appology for my troubles

I couldnt tell you exactly
the system is just designed wrong, the spring give way to much tension

I would recomend to any body with this block to chop the springs a bit

this must be a common problem, cause on the main page theres a how to- on replace a NB clip on a ASUS :p

hey Nova did you notice how hard it was to even clip in the alluminum clips?
I had to take my dremel to it and give them more of a hook.

Interesting. I have a Z-Chip and it looks like it would take a lot of force to break off the mounting tab things. The Maze 4 might have different springs though.

Tried the RAM thing, nothing. There was no image, no beep of a post, even error beeps.

Bungle: yea, it was really hard to even get it in. But it was easier after cutting the springs.

I have no idea why DangerDen dosnt just give us shorter springs and that would solve alot of our probblems.

If you read the 2 paragraphs above and below the thrid picture in this frontpage article you'll notice that the swiftech block couldn't have put much stress on the loops. IMO its a problem with Asus, not DD - the $25 is actually a good deal considering its not their fault. The people who chipped AMD's with bolt-mounting HSF's didn't get discounts. So far every Asus product I've had, while performing great while operational, just lacked longevity. Getting two *new* Asus burners that died within 3 months each after I've owned 3 other [non-Asus] cd/dvd burners since the 2x/1x cd-rw's came out isn't exactly coincidence. [So far my DVR-104 and 52x Plex have lasted longer]

Anyways, I'm not saying its your fault or that you're wrong. It always sucks to loose hardware because of cost-saving on the mfg's side. I'd highly suggest you try that Swiftech mod, since in that article the loop came out well after installation.

had exactly the same thing with same block and board. lucky me didn't have problems after that. after the clip jumped twice i dissasembled all 4 of them and looked closely. the hooks on them could hardly be called so. thus i "improved" a bit every clip, so it will hold firmly. see the picture (left - improved clip):
MCHwc_mounting.jpg

i wrote to DD. rcieved an answer saying that i got an old version of the clips and that in newer one it been fixed.
i understand that i don't help you at current situation. may be will help others in the future

Back