• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tuning dual channel memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ibe98765

My mobo is dual channel. I have one 512MB stick of memory running on channel 1. I have done as much as I can to tune the FSB and memory timings (I don't have any control over voltages with this bios/mobo). I bumped FSB from 200 to 210 MHz and dropped memory timing from 8-4-4-3 to 2.5-3-3-7.

1. I have another 256MB of PC3200 DDR here. I believe it is slower than the Kingmax 512MB in channel one. If I put this second stick in a channel two slot, will a second set of memory timings appear in the BIOS for the 256MB stick on channel B? Or do I get only one set of memory timings that I have to tune for the slowest DDR chip in the system?

2. Is it better to tune for highest memory speed and a lower FSB speed or the reverse? I think that if I drop the memory timings, I could up the FSB speed a bit more.

You will not be able to run the sticks in duel channel and you only have 1 set of memory timings to work with, in BIOS. You will only be able to adjust for the slowest memory stick, and hope for stability. I would try to get the most FSB, keeping the rated memory bus speed in mind. Use the divider to do that. Then try lowering the timings, one setting at a time, and test for stability. There are really great "STICKIES" here to make you understand what timings do what and so forth. Good luck :)

Back