• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heater Core Inlet/Outlet Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JPetrillo

Does it make a difference on this heater core to which one is coming in and which is going out??

heater_core_small.gif

Okay, that is all then, I'll go finish running my tubes. thank you W.K.! :D

it might make a little bit of difference as far as backpressure goes with that core.

the side they intended as the inlet side on that core (the left side in the pic) has 6 waterchannels - the outlet side has 7. If you reverse that, you are going to have water from 7 channels exit the core thru six channels. That probably won't kill the cooling performance or anything but I suspect it would have a little less flow restriction the other way. A lot of dual pass cores are made with one more channel on the outlet side than the inlet side.

Weapon

Help me to understand why it would matter one way or the other? Am I making it too simplified in stating that the water has to be pumped through the same space no matter the direction of the flow?

crap dude...

whether It is Input or output... It is the same at the end... just as simple as the flow/presure yer pump can handle. Remember that allways the amount of flow u have at some point of yer linear system has to be the same at any other point (If it was not, that'll mean you have some external income or outgoing of flow in yer closed system). The amount of fluid that passes threw sertain area (eather way) IS gonna be the same on the oposite... is Just the speed of the flow that varies...
Sorry bout my english
pejcao frito!

weapon said:
it might make a little bit of difference as far as backpressure goes with that core.

the side they intended as the inlet side on that core (the left side in the pic) has 6 waterchannels - the outlet side has 7. If you reverse that, you are going to have water from 7 channels exit the core thru six channels. That probably won't kill the cooling performance or anything but I suspect it would have a little less flow restriction the other way..

Ok help clear this up for me. It's either 6 in 7 out or 7 in 6 out. Either way thats 13 channels right? Either way the pump still has to work to get the water through all those channels. I could be wrong and if I am please tell me that way I can get the most out of my rig.

this one falls squarely under 'beats the hell outta me' at the moment cause I haven't had enough time to try to figure it out but I first noticed it when I was screwing around with a core similar to the one pictured above. I tried it one way and then the other and it definitely seemed to be slightly better with the inlet tube hooked to the side originally intended as the inlet on the 6/7 core [odd core maybe??]

Anyway, I've pulled enough of them apart to make a few observations - the bottom tank is basically symmetrical and as far as I can tell, the waterchannels are pretty much the same across the core - the only difference is the number per side and the direction of flow - provided the core is mounted in an upright position, the 6 channels handle water flowing downward where the seven channels handle water flowing upward. The top tanks are obviously asymmetrical - the one on the original outlet side is a decent bit larger than the one on the original inlet side.

the entrance to the water channels all look about like this on either the top or the bottom:
hci_flowchan.jpg

of course, those are just the entrances (or exits) from the channels - I suppose there could be a difference in the length of the waterchannel - that will require pulling one a part to check
on the bright side, pulling cores apart is always kinda fun:
hci_layer.jpg

:)

for comparison - the '77 b'ville with ac (2-302) is a dual pass core that is setup with the same number of channels on either side - it has 6 on both sides and the top tanks are the same size. on this one, there is no noticeble difference regardless of which side is used as the inlet and which is used as the outlet.

hmmm...now that I think about it, all of the cores I have seen with an odd number of channels are set up the same - the extra channel and larger top tank is always on the outlet side...maybe a core manufacturer would be willing to give me a good reason for why they are set up like this. if it makes no difference, you'd think at least some of them would have the extra channel with the larger tank on the inlet side - especially on cores that use the same size inlet and outlet tubes. too tired to think about it at the moment but I will crunch this one a little more when I get a chance to swap some more cores around and maybe pull one of the 6/7 cores apart to more closely inspect their internals.

Back