• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

time for a second gig of ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JCDenton

Disabled
Hola, is it time for a second gig of RAM? I am 100% gamer and want the maximum performance out of my games. I have an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ clawhammer 1 meg cache, 1GB PC-3200 GEIL Value RAM, Geforce 6800 GT OCed to Ultra, and an Epox 8k3aj mobo.

I can run Doom 3 at 16x AA and 16x AF but it's not smooth enough for me. I want to be able to hit that 60 fps cap with 8xAF and 8xAA at the very least. Will a second gig of RAM help?

Spank you in advance.

i was gonna say same thing ... pc3200 seems dinosaurish for that setup ... not that its slow but you may want top qaulity speed and manufacturer for such a quality system ..

:beer:

maybe you are maxing out your system and it is not your ram?

what res you run it at? 1280 / 1600 ?

i doubt you will be able to hit 1600 x 1200 and max out AA and AF and hit 60FPS smooth and constant.

PC-3200 is the fastest RAM Epox 8k3daj with an Athlon 64 3200+ CPU Clawhammer can take I thought? If not, I'm going to kill myself for blowing a few hundred bucks.

I originally got the RAM for my shuttle xpc SN85G4 but since I had to return the Shuttle about 20 times due to a BIOS/Mobo that kept dying, I went out and got the Epox, super lanboy, etc.

Doom 3 runs at like 20 fps at 16AA, 16AF, 1280 by 1024, and ultra quality.

well a nf7-s v2.0 is rated 400 fsb , but people have taken it well over that .. im not to familiar with the newer systems but i wouod imagine that you could have goten faster ... i would have gotten faster anyways just in case .. you ram can always run slower and even tighting the timings might have made a big difference.. somebody else will have to correct me, but i dont think that board runs memory 1:1 ratio so unfortunetly you might hav ebeen better off getting the fastest possible ram you could afford .. do you have a grace period to return it or has it been a while ?? not that pc3200 is bad, heck who knows you may be able to overclock it to a good speed..

Back