• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What anti-freeze/Non algea product thats blue?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

glass19

Registered
Okay let me rephrase this...somewhat..

I bought Blue UV die for my system...and I'm going to get my distilled water of course...but i need an Anti-freeze that will no affect my UV die. I want my system to have blue going through it...not green.

recommendations?

Has anyone ever added Food Coloring? What if i added blue food coloring to the already dark blue coolent along with my dark blue UV dylite?

oOo, do you mean like this? im using blue pentosin. (vw/audi antifreeze)
IMG_0289.jpg

Yes that blue is cool! I think I'd like it to be a bit darker. Hopefully the dye will take care of that. I'll get some UV lights and light up my tubes (tygon) Is there a pic of that case at night with uv lights?

Don't use food coloring! I did a while back and after a few months, I cleaned out my system. I found that the dye particles clumps together and sticks to the inside of my WB and pump.

That's a very nice T fitting you have there. Where'd you get it from? I haven't seen any that close to transparent.

I dig the zip ties btw. I'm using the same until my hose clamps arrive.

If you want a really nice dark blue, throw some copper sulfate pentahydrate crystals (available from gardening supply centres) into your reservoir to dissolve. Very effective biocide and won't harm your cooling ability noticably like anti-freeze will.

Two things:

1) Keep it away from nickel - it will eat it
2) The coolant becomes quite electrically conductive - one leak and kiss everything it touches goodbye

I used to use it, but don't any more, because of those two reasons - but hey - you might like to try it.

Cathar said:
If you want a really nice dark blue, throw some copper sulfate pentahydrate crystals (available from gardening supply centres) into your reservoir to dissolve. Very effective biocide and won't harm your cooling ability noticably like anti-freeze will.

Two things:

1) Keep it away from nickel - it will eat it
2) The coolant becomes quite electrically conductive - one leak and kiss everything it touches goodbye

I used to use it, but don't any more, because of those two reasons - but hey - you might like to try it.

what concentration were you using? i wouldn't have thought the sort of concentrations used as a biocide (iirc) would give a noticeable colour...

Okay so food coloring is no good. I will not be trying that haha..and those crystals sound like a cool idea but too risky..and things are risky as it already is with water going through out my system..

I'm really tempted to buy the Pentosin Blue stuff from www.drivewire.com After some searching on the fourm here...it seems to be a great coolent and color! but...its hard to swallow the price of shipping and the actual cost of the product...like 10 bux for the product and shipping for overnight delievery is 15 bux! so total is around 25 dollars.

Funny thing is...the place is located in Irvine CA. Right in my back yard...but they don't do will calls...they are only a shipping distributer. So I can't walk in and say YO! gimmie some of dat Pentosin. I called some audi dealers around town here...and they all carry a green cooler.

So...my question now is...before I go an order for 25 bux...argh.....is there anything I could pick up at my local Pep boys or Autozone that I can add my blue dyelite to and have it glow blue?

I honestly DO NOT CARE what the color looks like without UV lights...but when the UV Lights go on...I want my Blue Dylite to kick in.

Thanks so much for the input thus far!

oohhh whats that coming down my street...why its a Fedex truck coming to deliever my Thermochill 120.3!

gotta ruN!

how about giving mouthwash a try. it kills germs and comes in green and blue (probably more colors but i've only seen those two). i had it in my loop last year and it got rid of all the bacteria and crap that was in there.

... and it smells minty :D

Didn't it make your liquid foam alot? That's what I would think would happen if you put mouthwash in your loop. Also, isn't alcohol (which is the main ingredient in most mouthwashes I think) bad for your o-rings, plexi and such? Or is that just bleach?

glass19 said:
Okay so food coloring is no good. I will not be trying that haha..and those crystals sound like a cool idea but too risky..and things are risky as it already is with water going through out my system..

I'm really tempted to buy the Pentosin Blue stuff from www.drivewire.com After some searching on the fourm here...it seems to be a great coolent and color! but...its hard to swallow the price of shipping and the actual cost of the product...like 10 bux for the product and shipping for overnight delievery is 15 bux! so total is around 25 dollars.

Funny thing is...the place is located in Irvine CA. Right in my back yard...but they don't do will calls...they are only a shipping distributer. So I can't walk in and say YO! gimmie some of dat Pentosin. I called some audi dealers around town here...and they all carry a green cooler.

So...my question now is...before I go an order for 25 bux...argh.....is there anything I could pick up at my local Pep boys or Autozone that I can add my blue dyelite to and have it glow blue?

I honestly DO NOT CARE what the color looks like without UV lights...but when the UV Lights go on...I want my Blue Dylite to kick in.

Thanks so much for the input thus far!

oohhh whats that coming down my street...why its a Fedex truck coming to deliever my Thermochill 120.3!

gotta ruN!

Dude, we are neighbors. I have called VW in Huntington Beach, CA and they have it for about $22 for one gallon (lifetime coolant for your system). If you can wait, I bet you if you get it during a sale, you can get the whole gallon for much less. I paid $9.99 for my Toyota antifreeze (red) when they had a sale. Original price was $20.

o hey, i just remembered. Pentosin WILL NOT GIVE YOU THE BLUE COLOR THAT I HAVE. when you mix in Pentosin with distilled water, it will give you a very very faint blue tinge. heres what it looks like when i put 25% Pentosin.
IMG_0262.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg

He added the Blue Dyelite, he's just saying he doesn't have any UV CCFLs and its still pretty blue at night with the white CCFLs. I'm doing the same except I do have two 12" UV CCFLs! Muahahahaha!

Back