• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another 512 stick or leave it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

th3yeastinfecto

Registered
As of right now I have 2x256 of Kingston HyperX pc2700. I dont have any money so buying new ram is out of the question, but I do have a 512 stick of pc2100 ram. It always seems that I run out of ram really fast just using my computer normaly, ie: browser, winamp, asusprobe, and trillian. Sometimes it will get super choppy and I'll have to reboot. Gaming wise everything runs smoothly and I haven't ever really seen a problem. Do you think it would be beneficial to me to stick the other 512 stick in or will it just decrease performance?

I think it would be worth it to take a hit in memory bandwidth in exchange for having more ram total. back when I had only 512 meg of ram my buddy would always be beating me on loading maps in games, and far cry was a hell of a lot smoother on his system even though he only had 768 meg of pc2100 compared to my 512 meg of pc3200. but I got a gig now so I beat him every time :D

iNterBeiNg said:
I think it would be worth it to take a hit in memory bandwidth in exchange for having more ram total. back when I had only 512 meg of ram my buddy would always be beating me on loading maps in games, and far cry was a hell of a lot smoother on his system even though he only had 768 meg of pc2100 compared to my 512 meg of pc3200. but I got a gig now so I beat him every time :D

A gig makes a huge difference in games. BF:1942 and BF:V both work a lot better with 1gb. BF:V will hardly run without it. :rolleyes:

Anyway, see how much you can overclock all of those sticks together. You might be surprised.

I agree with Shade00. I upgraded to three sticks of 512 and my BF1942 loads amazingly fast. I'm usually alone in new maps for about 5 secs.

Back