• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WC Setup Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Catalan

Looking for advice for my first setup that will be going in my Chieftec Dragon case:

CPU: Dtek White Water
GPU: DD Maze4
Rad: Black Ice Pro II Dual 120mm
Shroud: 2xBlack Mini Coolshroud from www.sidewindercomputers.com
Pump: Laing D4
Fan: 2xSanyo Denki 120x38 @ 7v
Tee Fitting

About how much tubing/hose clamps are needed and any other fitting besides a Tee fitting that I would need? Also are there better price vs performance parts that would be better than what's listed above, like a pump. I'd like good performance with less noise which is why I'm going to have my fans at 7v.

Change the BIX to an auto parts heatercore, 2-342, 2-302, etc.

T fitting - 3 clamps
WW - 3 clamps
HC - 2 clamps
Maze4 - 2 clamps
D4 - 2 clamps
12 clamps in all, and dont get the plastic kind, get these at Home Depot or Lowes or something.

Clearflex 60 or Tygon R-3603, both on McMaster for relatively cheap. A general setup will used 5-10 feet of tubing, it depends on how you rig it up.

With the HC youll need a different shroud, you can make one with plexi sheets and silicone glue from home depot for cheap, or the go to guy here generally is greenman101 for custom stainles steel shrouds. Dont go for or make shrouds with 90 degree architecture, you always want it to slope down to HC from fan mounts, otherwise dead spots are increased.

If you change your pump, dont compromise with something like a WW, youll need either that D4, the cooltechnica aquaextreme(MCP600), the MCP650 from swifty, or maybe even an Iwaki.

Good luck

:cool:

With the HC will my 7v sanyo's provide sufficient cooling and if I were to go with a MCW6002-64 could I go with a quieter/cheaper pump? Also is #5393K43 the right tygon tubing or is it something else because I can find the clearflex60.

The right tygon (mainstream version of tygon) is McMaster #5103K17, but its 3.90 a foot there, whereas at DD its only (hehe... ONLY) 2.90.

Yes if you got a 6002, a much less restrictive and flow demanding block, you could get into Eheim, Hydor, and Via Aqua territory. In some cases saving you 60-70 on a pump for not that much of a sacrifice in performance. Of course you could stay with the mega-pump and get better temps.

Yes the Sanyos are particularly good and widely used on HC setups.

get clearflex 60, its a lot cheaper and its still very good and i agree with jackrungh get the dual 120 heatercore and just mod it.

Sad thing is I do not have the tools nor the skill to mod one, but I know I can get one premodded. I read that with less airflow it's better to go with a rad over a hc due to the hc being thicker and requires more airflow to cool it properly, something IDK if 7v Sanyo Denki's can do. Btw, I went with the ClearFlex 60, 10ft for $10.75 shipped. :D

What would be the temp difference if I were to go with a cheaper pump and the 6002? Is it drastic?

Last edited:
I've already read that, but I don't have the tools and highly doubt anyone I know has them. Buying them would cost more than purchasing a BIP2.

Do I plug the pump to the PSU or an outlet?

there may not be too much temp difference since they all perform relatively well. Only difference are that the via aqua is noisy and require modding for quietness. I also heard its not being reliable. Enheim 1250 is excellent and quiet except it's big and runs on a/c. Mag 3 has problem with leaks. etc etc. My opinion is that you get what you pay for. I would stay with the Liang D4 pump.

No, I don't. I know I can purchase pre-modded 2-302 from the classifieds/online vendors, but my question is would 2x120x38 Sanyo's at 7V be able to properly cool it?

temp measure without proper equipments are not accurate and varies board to board and system to system. Thus said my rig has a fedco 2-302 with DD D4 pump and swiftech mcw6002-P. With my 2.8 prescott cpu overclocked to 3.56ghz 255fsb 1:1 1.475v vcore and 2.9v DDR, I'm getting 39-41 celcius at idle and 45 celcius full load with my Asus P4C800E Dlx with bios 1007. Case temp of 30 celcius. Only thing I hear is my Sanyo Denki's which I undervolt to 7v at 1700rpm. Cranking the fans to 12v gives me 2 degrees celcius lower but with the fans running at 39 dba.

Edit: just for reference, my system with sp94 and 92mm vantec tornado gave me 45 idle and load of about 56 celcius with fsb 245 stable. With wc, I can oc to 3.7 with windows running good but prime95 fails.

Last edited:
How would this setup be:

CPU: MCW6002-64
GPU: MAZE4
HC: 2-302
Shroud: Purchase from classifieds or cardboard :x
Fan: 2xSanyo Denki 120x38
Pump: Eheim 1048 (Cather prefers it over 1250 and even a 7v D4 Pump)
Tubing: ClearFlex60

Picked the 1048 over the 1250 since it's smaller and quieter. You guys think this set up would be good for the price/performance?

why would you want to undervolt the d4? Mine is extremely quiet at 12v. On the otherhand if you decide to undervolt it, then don't waste money on it. With resistance from a double pass hc and 2 blocks, more head pressure is better than less.

Alright I've decided to go with the swiftech mcp650/liang D4 since I can hook them up to my PSU. So this is what I have planned out so far:

Tubing: ClearFlex60 1/2" ID
Pump: MCP650
GPU: MAZE4
CPU: 6002-64/WW (idk which to go with)
Fan: 2xSanyo Denki 120x38 @ 7v
HC: premodded 2-302

So which CPU block do you guys think is better to go with.

Thile the 6002 is better than the WW at lower flow rates, the rates youll be getting with a 650 will be high, and at those rate the WW outperforms the 6002.

If the three barb thing is a turnoff the get teh simpler 6002, but strictly for DeltaT, the WW will probably be 1-2 C better

the most frequently referenced watercooling link

:cool:

Back