• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What memory for Athlon64 939?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OSFP

I am planning to go Athlon64 939 in a couple of months so I would like some good RAM for it so I can OC good...but I dont know what the best choice would be...
Whats the best RAM currently for A64 939? (what do we need? tight timmings, high FSB 1:1? what works best?)

Last edited:
Well you really need some ram with tight timings. Some of the best stuff out now is the OCZ EB series , Corsair XLPRO, Crucial Ballistix and basically anything that can do DDR400 at 2-2-2-5. When you start uping the FSB of course you can't run them that tight but the tighter you can run the better.

I am going for a new RAM, what I ask of you is which RAM shoul I prefer?
I have heard that in A64 timmings dont matter much....

Generally to have a good OC with A64 what do I need? I dont want super speed that always costs much....I just want to make sure my RAM doesn't limit my overclock and after that the better it is, the better for me....but I aint gonna pay 400e for 1Gb of RAM...

So what do I need for athlon64?

Currently I am thinking of only running 1:1 sync....and I know that in A64 u can use lower multipliers....so....I am going to OC with the stock heatsink only...and lets say my CPU is at default 11x200=2200MHz .....I guess 11x230=2520 is a nice overclock...so I would need my RAM to do 230MHz....thats easy....but I guess I can lower the multiplier and do something like : 10x252=2520 ....to make up for the relaxed timmings....or maybe even 9x278=2503 if I manage to get such RAM...

But this is just theory....I havent laid my hands on any A64 system....so I would like you who have to tell me what is in my best interest...

Last edited:
OSFP said:
I am going for a new RAM, what I ask of you is which RAM shoul I prefer?
I have heard that in A64 timmings dont matter much....

Generally to have a good OC with A64 what do I need? I dont want super speed that always costs much....I just want to make sure my RAM doesn't limit my overclock and after that the better it is, the better for me....but I aint gonna pay 400e for 1Gb of RAM...

So what do I need for athlon64?

Currently I am thinking of only running 1:1 sync....and I know that in A64 u can use lower multipliers....so....I am going to OC with the stock heatsink only...and lets say my CPU is at default 11x200=2200MHz .....I guess 11x230=2520 is a nice overclock...so I would need my RAM to do 230MHz....thats easy....but I guess I can lower the multiplier and do something like : 10x252=2520 ....to make up for the relaxed timmings....or maybe even 9x278=2503 if I manage to get such RAM...

But this is just theory....I havent laid my hands on any A64 system....so I would like you who have to tell me what is in my best interest...

Yes with the AMD64's love tight timings...... Try to find something that can do 240 or so at 2.5-2-2-5 and you will be golden.

Back