• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC3000 really 2700?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cerberus2k7

Drifto Mexicano
Ok, I have Corsair XMS PC3000, and when it was in my old mobo(Abit BE7) it read as PC2700 which was fine because I knew that was the max speed it could read at. But I have an Abit Ai7 now and it can read upto 3200, yet CPUz is still reporting my RAM as being PC2700. What gives? And yes, it says PC3000 on the XMS label.

i would just see what speeds it runs at default voltages. if it runs at pc2700 speeds and not much faster, then id say its pc 2700 and vise ves ca. and dont worry about what cpuz says (it read my chipset voltage instead of cpu voltage when i had an epox)

Well she's going around at a happy 2-2-2-5 right now so it's doing pretty well. Although, I think it's limiting my OC :( Should I loosen up the timings alittle bit so I can stay stable at 3ghz?

the ratio of improvement with a mhz increase in cpu speed as compared to a memory mhz increase, is something like 3-5 to 1 in favor of cpu speed. so u might want to keep that in mind when overclocking ur components

By the way, there are two reasons it shows up as PC3000; one is that early PC3000 was simply PC2700 guaranteed to do certain speeds, and the other is that PC3000 was never a recognized JEDEC speed.

Loosen the timings a bit and see how high you can get the CPU.

flapperhead said:
the ratio of improvement with a mhz increase in cpu speed as compared to a memory mhz increase, is something like 3-5 to 1 in favor of cpu speed. so u might want to keep that in mind when overclocking ur components

Right now i'm running at a 1:1 ratio with those timings @ 2.7v. What settings do you think would be best? Memory is one of my weak spots >.<

Back