• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

building a watercooling system for friend need help with setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barrman

Registered
Right so this friend happens to be my brother. Any way he has a cooler master wave case, nf7-s, 2500+mobile and hes getting an x800xt. My problem is he wants me to build a water cooling system for him. He wants both the CPU and GPU water cooled. He wanted to do NB too but he already has an NB-1C and I figured that water cooling wouldn't help all that much.

Here is my problem. I know the new GPUs put out a lot of heat, like almost as much as his CPU when overclocked. He also has limited space because of the case. I was thinking of running two seperate loops and stacking 2 blackice extreme 120mm radiators ontop of one another, one for each loop. This presents other problems like running two pumps, money is an issue and I like 12v pumps like my mcp600. So I thought well I can run them in series so it would look like this: First radiator would be the topmost and would have the warmer air from the bottom radiator blown on it this way the hottest watter will see a slightly smaller delta (air temp/water temp) then the water from this radiator wich has been cooled slighty moves to the second or bottom radiator wich will have a fresh air being blown on it then the loop would be CPU-GPU-Pump-back to radiators. My concern with this is A.) I want to use a TDX block wich need high flow and high head. If I stack radiators even low restriction ones, and have a GPU block, Im woried about killing my flow. B.) If I stack the radiators will 2 120mm fans in push pull config be abel to blow air throw the radiator stack?

So from you guys I need to know if stacking radiators is a feesable way to dissipate all this heat and if it is what kind of a pump is going to be adequite for this setup? Oh and if any one knows where to get water blocks for an x800xt links woud be nice. I have seen one at aqua computers but from what I can tell (my german is pretty rough) it just came out and is still in testing, not production.

Thanks
Barrman

have you considered going for a heatercore like a fedco 2-302 or fedco 2-342 which utilizes 2x120mm fans to cool instead? You could have it as exterior unit if you don't have room inside the case.

the x800 uses the same mounting holes as the 9800s, the x800 specific blocks cool the ram too though, but you could just get an older 9800 block and use ramsinks which is what i would go with

Wow, ok, I don't really know alot about the black ice radiators, but have you looked into something like the '77 bonieville heartercore? Those have room for 2x120mm fans. The other choice is a '86 chevette core. it has room for 1 120mm fan. I highly doubt that 2 fans in a push pull would be able to blow through stacked radiators.

I would think that 1 heatercore that can fit 2 120mm fans on it would be plenty to cool down a cpu and gpu. Just get some good fans and I think you'll be set.

upstreamcurrent said:
Wow, ok, I don't really know alot about the black ice radiators, but have you looked into something like the '77 bonieville heartercore?

you probably don't know what a fedco 2-302 is then, huh? LOL

nartac said:
you probably don't know what a fedco 2-302 is then, huh? LOL

I didn't remember what the fedco # to car was, and I didn't think he did either.

Also, your post wasn't up yet when i posted mine

Yeah I have a 77 bonnevill cor in my computer but I pretty sure there is no way I can fit one in his. External radiator setup is really not ideal. space was really limited wich is why I wanted to stack in stead of going laterally. The only thing I can think of is if he has enough room to sqeeze a Bville core, maybe just the bottom tank, into the top most cd drive cage. These cages are riveted so no chance of removing.

Back